ESXi compatible Mini-ATX build with Ryzen 5 1600

Hey, planning to build a mini-server to run multiple VMs (none of which is for storage). Currently my build is this:

Before I go any further, wanted to ask if anyone has better experience than me with Ryzen and ESXi compatibility, as well as compatible RAID Controllers. Not sure about the one I included in the build.

I'm open for any suggestions and recommendations :)

Thank you!

The Raidcontroller hasnt to do anything with esxi. Before you install the hypervisior u have to create your Raid arrays. I suggest something like raid 5 or 6 depending on how many drives you have. SSD raid arrays are also a thing to have in mind. Ryzen itself works fine with esxi tho.

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

7 minutes ago, joshuawi99 said:

The Raidcontroller hasnt to do anything with esxi. Before you install the hypervisior u have to create your Raid arrays. I suggest something like raid 5 or 6 depending on how many drives you have. SSD raid arrays are also a thing to have in mind. Ryzen itself works fine with esxi tho.

Worst case scenario, the RAID controller's chipset isn't ESXi compatible and won't show you any disks. It does matter. LSI controllers and their HP/Dell/Lenovo OEM brethren are safe bets. Lots of Highpoint cards are also good.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Worst case scenario, the RAID controller's chipset isn't ESXi compatible and won't show you any disks. It does matter. LSI controllers and their HP/Dell/Lenovo OEM brethren are safe bets. Lots of Highpoint cards are also good.

That was what I thought. Thanks for the hint :)

Raid controller compatibility most certainly is important, otherwise you're not going to have datastores in this build. 

As NelizMastr pointed out, for ESXi I would stick with well known brands. LSI, Adaptec, Dell, IBM, Intel, Lenovo, etc...

You might want to check out their hardware compatibility checker: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

On a quick search it seems the DC-600e doesn't work, so I wouldn't expect the 624e to work either. A lot of their controllers are fake raid (software) and only work in Windows so really I would avoid it all together. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

22 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Raid controller compatibility most certainly is important, otherwise you're not going to have datastores in this build. 

As NelizMastr pointed out, for ESXi I would stick with well known brands. LSI, Adaptec, Dell, IBM, Intel, Lenovo, etc...

You might want to check out their hardware compatibility checker: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

On a quick search it seems the DC-600e doesn't work, so I wouldn't expect the 624e to work either. A lot of their controllers are fake raid (software) and only work in Windows so really I would avoid it all together. 

Wow, thanks. That's definitely useful. Will change them for LSI probably.

I only had experience with "prebuilt" raid systems, like the HP Z workstations or HPE/Dell Servers, how does the integration of the controllers work? Will the Bios of the MB just detect it or...?

3 minutes ago, magsrv said:

Wow, thanks. That's definitely useful. Will change them for LSI probably.

I only had experience with "prebuilt" raid systems, like the HP Z workstations or HPE/Dell Servers, how does the integration of the controllers work? Will the Bios of the MB just detect it or...?

The ones from the big brands are all hardware controllers, so everything is done on the card. They will spin up and initialize the group during the computers post. 

VMware has driver support for most of the big brand storage chipsets and will just auto detect the storage from the cards.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

16 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

The ones from the big brands are all hardware controllers, so everything is done on the card. They will spin up and initialize the group during the computers post. 

VMware has driver support for most of the big brand storage chipsets and will just auto detect the storage from the cards.

Yeah, but how do I get in the menu to configure the disk? Is it an option pre boot?

1 minute ago, magsrv said:

Yeah, but how do I get in the menu to configure the disk? Is it an option pre boot?

management utility during POST, before boot. 

for LSI cards its Ctrl+H for WebBIOS, for Adaptec its Ctrl+A

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hi Magsrv, 

run multiple VMs (none of which is for storage).

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of VMs/work you do with such a combination? 

- It does not have enough graphics power to do rendering,

- it does not have enough ethernet ports for networking.. 

- it has a dedicated grafphics card instead onboard

- it has Raid but does not have main storage tasks