1tb HDD

600w Corsaire PSU

Settings:

1440p

DX11 

Future frame rendering on

High graphics preset.

Problem;

I'm experiencing some pretty extreme FPS drops. In Grand Operations, I will load in and begin the round with between 70 - 80FPS. However, when the action starts, it hovers between 40 - 55FPS and sometimes drops as low as 23FPS. I'm aware that the processor isn't ideal for the game, however, I've heard of people using similar setups and achieving a solid 60FPS. 

Do I simply just need a new processor or is something else going wrong?

Probably processor. 5 year old 4 core i5 is going to struggle in Battlefield V. To give yourself a better idea of what's causing the drops, run MSI afterburner while you're playing and configure the on screen display to show status like your CPU and GPU usage. Could also be thermals so check your temps when you're playing and give it a dust out if the temps are a bit high.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, SSHHWING said:

System:

i5 4670k @ stock

16gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Gigabyte GTX 1080 8gb @ stock

120gb SSD

1tb HDD

600w Corsaire PSU

Settings:

1440p

DX11 

Future frame rendering on

High graphics preset.

Problem;

I'm experiencing some pretty extreme FPS drops. In Grand Operations, I will load in and begin the round with between 70 - 80FPS. However, when the action starts, it hovers between 40 - 55FPS and sometimes drops as low as 23FPS. I'm aware that the processor isn't ideal for the game, however, I've heard of people using similar setups and achieving a solid 60FPS. 

Do I simply just need a new processor or is something else going wrong?

using msi afterburner or similar change the thermal preset on your gpu from 71 to 91,also turn down phyiscs a bit. This sound like a case of thermal throttling also watch your cpu temps too,otherwise clean your cpu cooler.

Your CPU is too weak. BF1 and BFV really don't run properly on 4c/4t CPUs. You're alright if you upgrade to a 4770K or 4790K or a new platform entirely, with a 6-core CPU minimum.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thanks for thelp. I think it might be a waste to upgrade on the same platform. I will likely wait until after Christmas and change the mobo, CPU, and RAM. Any suggestions for a new CPU to compliment the system?

In the meantime, I'll monitor temps and give the system a good clean.

One odd thing I noticed was that the cutscenes in the single player campaign seemed to be chugging a bit too.

13 minutes ago, SSHHWING said:

Thanks for thelp. I think it might be a waste to upgrade on the same platform. I will likely wait until after Christmas and change the mobo, CPU, and RAM. Any suggestions for a new CPU to compliment the system?

One odd thing I noticed was that the cutscenes in the single player campaign seemed to be chugging a bit too.

Yeah, the cutscenes don't appear to be pre-rendered this time. 

Anyway, your best bet, imo, is the Ryzen 5 2600. That, or the more expensive i5-8400.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

20 minutes ago, SSHHWING said:

...also overclock your CPU if you can it might help things a little bit and try to lower some CPU demanding settings until you get a better CPU.

Also, upgrading to a 4770K or 4790K might not be a bad idea if you have a decent motherboard and 16GB of RAM already, you can sell your core i5 to get money toward the CPU upgrade making this a cheap upgrade.

About CPU recommendation, i would say avoid a 6c/6t cpu like the 8600K for example because you will end up in the same situation in less than 2 years cause this CPU is already pretty close to maxed out in many games already, including battlefield 5.

So i would say 6c/12t minimum...and also maybe avoid AMD RYzen if you aim for high framerates:

Capture.PNG

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

14 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

So i would say 6c/12t minimum...and also maybe avoid AMD RYzen if you aim for high framerates:

OP plays at 1440p, though. At which point the difference between Intel and AMD is smaller. The frametime performance matters most in a game like this, and that's already pretty good. I guess I'd pick whichever one's cheaper.

32 minutes ago, SSHHWING said:

Cutscenes are rendered by CPU only usually, so it is likely a CPU bottleneck.

I would suggest a 2600, but if you can wait to maybe march you might be able to get the 3rd gen ryzen chips, which are very promising as it is on 7nm and AMD apparently improved IPC(mainly what determines that intel cpus > amd cpus in gaming) by a lot. Prices are likely to be reasonable too. If you can't wait, a 2600 is the minimum you should go for

Just remember: For RAM, get 2x8GB and 3000/3200Mhz. Get b450 /x470 for the motherboard too

It's your CPU, four cores isn't enough for Battlefield V. Even older quad cores struggle with it. I'd say get a Ryzen, works well for me at 1440p with a GTX 1080 as well.

Ryzen 2700, 16GB, GTX 1080, 1440p165hz