Make a custom .iSO for Windows?

_Grid21

I have 2 issues I need to solve today. Hopefully, someone can help.

Issue 1: I will be upgrading my PC, hopefully, this week, and I've been working on a Virtual machine of Windows 10 with the software I use to stream and such. But unfortunately, while Windows 10 does have a custom deployment option it fails to work when I run the commandLine. I was wondering if I can user Macrium Reflect to create an exact .iSO file to run as an installer or to be able to boot right off a physical drive so I can skip the long parts and have less downtime.

Issue 2: Also, I bought an ASUS ROG Strix X470 which supports M.2 and I was wondering if someone could suggest to me a really good 1TB M.2 drive for my main OS drive as while I have perfectly working WD Blue HDDs, I was thinking of switching to SSD even though it'd only really be a help for boot times since the OS and programs get loaded into memory and SSDs are better for applications such as editing programs. OR Unless I load my OS on an HDD, but install my editing programs and plugins on an SSD since they have to do more reading and writing. And not only that but have the right type of SSD for the board.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

22 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

I was wondering if someone could suggest to me a really good 1TB M.2 drive for my main OS drive

How much do you want to spend? What are you using it for? Id look at a 970 evo and a 660p

You can make a custom iso, but its normally quicker for a single system to just make the changes you want, as making a custom install image with all your apps can take a while.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much do you want to spend? What are you using it for? Id look at a 970 evo and a 660p

You can make a custom iso, but its normally quicker for a single system to just make the changes you want, as making a custom install image with all your apps can take a while.

I realize M.2 SSDs are pricey, but let's go a little high and say between $100-$299. I would probably load video editing Programs like Vegas Pro 16 with it's plugins on the SSD for fast loading and scrubbing, as well as things like FL Studio 20 with all it's VST plugins.

As for I realize it would take time to make a custom .iSO but I have time. I just need a tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect to create a .iSO.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Just now, _Grid21 said:

I realize M.2 SSDs are pricey, but let's go a little high and say between $100-$299. I would probably load video editing Programs like Vegas Pro 16 with it's plugins on the SSD for fast loading and scrubbing, as well as things like FL Studio 20 with all it's VST plugins.

As for I realize it would take time to make a custom .iSO but I have time. I just need a tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect to create a .iSO.

then id get a 970 evo

Macrum reflect doesn't make a iso file, its for imaging. If you want to make a custom iso file, get something like ntlite to make a iso image. But really, just do a normal istall, its faster and easier.

Or if you don't want to do a reinstall, just clone the system to the new drive.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then id get a 970 evo

Macrum reflect doesn't make a iso file, its for imaging. If you want to make a custom iso file, get something like ntlite to make a iso image. But really, just do a normal istall, its faster and easier.

Or if you don't want to do a reinstall, just clone the system to the new drive.

Is it possible to image my Virtual machine and then boot off it on the upgraded system? 

Just now, _Grid21 said:

Is it possible to image my Virtual machine and then boot off it on the upgraded system? 

you can, but there is a good change it won't boot due to the different drives and boot loaders needed. Normally a fresh install is the way to go.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can, but there is a good change it won't boot due to the different drives and boot loaders needed. Normally a fresh install is the way to go.

Welp, I guess my twitch community is gonna have to do without me, I was really hoping to avoid all that work because it's more things I have to remember to install. 

5 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Welp, I guess my twitch community is gonna have to do without me, I was really hoping to avoid all that work because it's more things I have to remember to install. 

How long does that take? A fresh install and app install for me is like 2-3 hours. You can't be streaming all the time.

You can also try a clone, but id suggest against it

How long does that take? A fresh install and app install for me is like 2-3 hours. You can't be streaming all the time.

You can also try a clone, but id suggest against it

Well, I ran into a video on YouTube where someone used RT Seven Lite to pre-load programs/drivers. No, I am not streaming all the time, but also I have a lot of media-based programs and video editors and install those with an HDD took a lot of time. Which is why I had so much downtime 

25 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Well, I ran into a video on YouTube where someone used RT Seven Lite to pre-load programs/drivers. No, I am not streaming all the time, but also I have a lot of media-based programs and video editors and install those with an HDD took a lot of time. Which is why I had so much downtime 

You can do this, but it takes a while to get a good image setup.

Id just run 2 system for a time, slowing installing the programs to the new system.

You can do this, but it takes a while to get a good image setup.

Id just run 2 system for a time, slowing installing the programs to the new system.

Can you re-word that? Sorry didn't know what you meant by "run 2 system". Do you mean run 2 systems till my main work station is up and running?

1 minute ago, _Grid21 said:

Can you re-word that? Sorry didn't know what you meant by "run 2 system". Do you mean run 2 systems till my main work station is up and running?

When you build you new system, don't replace your old one in one shot.

Keep using your old pc, and slowly install and move files so there is less downtime.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

When you build you new system, don't replace your old one in one shot.

Keep using your old pc, and slowly install and move files so there is less downtime.

The only other "system" I have is my laptop. So running 2 systems at the same time isn't possible since I had a 1TB RAID 1 set up. 

The only other "system" I have is my laptop. So running 2 systems at the same time isn't possible since I had a 1TB RAID 1 set up. 

so all your streaming is on your laptop?

Then  just keep using your laptop untill you have fully setup your desktop, and slowly copy the files over

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

so all your streaming is on your laptop?

Then  just keep using your laptop untill you have fully setup your desktop, and slowly copy the files over

Well see, my media for my streams/video files for editing, are on different drives. My main issues is reinstalling things like OBS Studio, Vegas Pro 14, etc. This brings me back to saying I would really rather want to create a custom .iso because I want to skip all the wait time.

3 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Well see, my media for my streams/video files for editing, are on different drives. My main issues is reinstalling things like OBS Studio, Vegas Pro 14, etc. This brings me back to saying I would really rather want to create a custom .iso because I want to skip all the wait time.

Installing programs really doesn't take very long, they install in like 5 or 10 min, your not saving much time.

Making a custom iso will take longer and be more of a hassle.

Why not install of the programs on the new desktop before moving the data from the laptop. That way you only have to wait for the file copy, not the install.

Installing programs really doesn't take very long, they install in like 5 or 10 min, your not saving much time.

Making a custom iso will take longer and be more of a hassle.

Why not install of the programs on the new desktop before moving the data from the laptop. That way you only have to wait for the file copy, not the install.

Ok let me quickly back up a little bit here. Forget the laptop actually, that's not my main system. I have a Virtual machine install of Windows 10 with the programs I want on it, I then want to take the virtual machine install and drop it onto the new machine I am building to skip installing windows 10 and installing the software I use. 

Ok let me quickly back up a little bit here. Forget the laptop actually, that's not my main system. I have a Virtual machine install of Windows 10 with the programs I want on it, I then want to take the virtual machine install and drop it onto the new machine I am building to skip installing windows 10 and installing the software I use. 

You can try to do this, but there is a good change it won't work due to bootloaders and driver errors.

You can try to do this, but there is a good change it won't work due to bootloaders and driver errors.

Which brings back to my second point. What software do you or anyone reading this know of that can do just that? 

Just now, _Grid21 said:

Which brings back to my second point. What software do you or anyone reading this know of that can do just that? 

Really, just do a fresh install on the desktop, its the best solution and guarantees there won't be any errors

Id give dd a shot with cloning, but you can also do macrum reflect.

Really, just do a fresh install on the desktop, its the best solution and guarantees there won't be any errors

Id give dd a shot with cloning, but you can also do macrum reflect.

Which again, do you know of a tutorial video for just that with either software you mentioned?

Just now, _Grid21 said:

Which again, do you know of a tutorial video for just that with either software you mentioned?

What program is running the vm?

Did you look up any guides?

Basically clone the virtual hdd to the new hdd, then Try to boot. Id sysprep it first.

What program is running the vm?

Did you look up any guides?

Basically clone the virtual hdd to the new hdd, then Try to boot. Id sysprep it first.

I've been using VirtualBox. I've been looking guides this whole time we've been chatting.

I read that over just now, and that's Ubuntu CommandLine. Not Windows 10