Transferring HDD to a new PC

likeaboz2002

My Grandpa recently had me build him a new PC, and I put an SSD in it. He now wants me to get the files from his old PC on his new one. Can I literally just plug the old drive into the new PC? Do I need to do anything to avoid any kind of conflict with windows?

You can clone your HDD files to your new SSD, and then put your SSD into your new PC. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

You can clone your HDD files to your new SSD, and then put your SSD into your new PC. 

Is there any way to just have the drive (with all the files) in the new PC?

6 minutes ago, likeaboz2002 said:

Is there any way to just have the drive (with all the files) in the new PC?

If you had Windows preinstalled on the old PC, you can't just put your old HDD into the new PC. 

I recommend doing a clean install of Windows onto your SSD, and transferring your documents/files to your new PC manually. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

if the the new ssd has an OS on it, then yes, you can plug the old hdd on that new system. 

if the old hdd has OS, after plugging it in, just select the SSD as boot drive to boot from new OS and you can see your old hdd.