Xigmatek Dark Knight II, good for today Intel K's overclock?

Slazyel

Hi guys,

Currently i have a i5 8400 and plan to upgrade to a i5 8600k/9600k or a i7 8700k/9700k.

I got that cooler Brand new in a sale and was wondering if it can handle good overclock numbers for those processors.

I've also heard that it is better than the well known CM 212X Evo.

Only 3 heat pipes, and not a particularly large looking surface area. Better than stock Intel, but not particularly beefy looking. Have you managed to find any thermal performance numbers on this product?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

38 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

do you have a Z series board to be able to overclock?

Yes. I have a strix z370

20 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Only 3 heat pipes, and not a particularly large looking surface area. Better than stock Intel, but not particularly beefy looking. Have you managed to find any thermal performance numbers on this product?

Not on newer processors. But it is better than the 212x evo for haswell and older processors for example.

4 minutes ago, Slazyel said:

Not on newer processors. But it is better than the 212x evo for haswell and older processors for example.

If it's better on one processor, it should be better on all processors, considering same size CPU. Dissipating heat is its only job.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Heatpipe count isn't everything. The Dark Knight II comes with large 8mm heatpipes compared the 6mm's found on Hyper 212's and the center heatpipe is positioned right above the die. It should be fine with a moderate oc. I'm having trouble finding the benchmarks for the Dark Knight II since the original Dark Knight is often mislabelled as the II but they should be similar. I wouldn't be surprised if the sites that hosted the benchmarks have since gone down. Xigmatek's site is currently missing much of the usual documentation and the only Dark Knight cooler listed is the SD1483. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you want to OC, you need a fricken beefy cooler. My 8600K at 5Ghz still hits over 80C in stress tests on an NH-D15S with dual fans (it's in an S340 Elite with a full complement of fans, so airlfow isn't the best but it's pretty good). About 60C in gaming though. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

48 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

If you want to OC, you need a fricken beefy cooler. My 8600K at 5Ghz still hits over 80C in stress tests on an NH-D15S with dual fans (it's in an S340 Elite with a full complement of fans, so airlfow isn't the best but it's pretty good). About 60C in gaming though. 

I have a sharkoon tg5 with 4 fans that comes with it plus a cm mf120 airflow rgb. Think it has a good amount of airflow. If i can game at 5.0ghz with 80+85c i will be fine too.

55 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Heatpipe count isn't everything. The Dark Knight II comes with large 8mm heatpipes compared the 6mm's found on Hyper 212's and the center heatpipe is positioned right above the die. It should be fine with a moderate oc. I'm having trouble finding the benchmarks for the Dark Knight II since the original Dark Knight is often mislabelled as the II but they should be similar. I wouldn't be surprised if the sites that hosted the benchmarks have since gone down. Xigmatek's site is currently missing much of the usual documentation and the only Dark Knight cooler listed is the SD1483. 

The SD1483 is exactly the one i got

10 hours ago, Slazyel said:

The SD1483 is exactly the one i got

Stick with it and see what you can get. Looking at reviews, 212 wouldn't be significant upgrade and so if you think upgrade is needed, go for 140mm tower or something else which would be clearly better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv