Advise for building a NAS

Lev0n

So I am deciding to move away from off the shelf NAS's and plan on building my own NAS. 

The NAS will be used as a media server of sorts for use with Plex/Kodi so it may need to transcode media files. Media will be 1080p and I will be looking into upgrading stuff to 4K when needed in the future. 

I plan to build my NAS inside a Silverstone - DS380B. This is a case I have had my eye on for sometime now and the idea that it has 8 x 3.5" bays allows me to expand storage in the future. Currently I have 5 x 6TB WD Reds. Only 4 of these are being used in my old NAS in RAID 5. I plan to reuse these drives in the new build. 

I am unsure on the rest of the hardware and also the software that I should use. For software, I have looked into FreeNAS and unRaid however I don't plan on using either of these. I have thought about using Windows as the OS but I am unsure if this is a viable option for my needs. If Windows was chosen, what would be the best way to set up a storage pool in RAID? Would I need a dedicated RAID card? I would like the possibility of if one drive dies, I can replace it and rebuild the array, can this be done with Windows? 

As for hardware with the chosen case. Being small form factor is essential as is low noise. I'm not 100% sure on the specs I need and should go for? 

This is what I have come up with so far. 

Any help is appreciated. 

28 minutes ago, Lev0n said:

using Windows as the OS but I am unsure if this is a viable option for my needs. If Windows was chosen, what would be the best way to set up a storage pool in RAID?

You can use storage spaces, it works well, allows for expansion and mixed raid levels and device sizes.

But why do you want windows? I see no reason to use it any. Any linux distro will work fine.

Otherwise this should work fine. Id use the stock cooler, that i3 won't make much heat and is silent on the stock cooler.

Have you considered the likes of the Node 304? It only holds 6 x 3.5" HDD's but far better airflow - theres also the Node 804 which can hold 8 drives but is an mATX chassis. 

Just a word of warning the DS380B is known to not have the best airflow, so the drives can get prety warm. 

You may want to also reconsider the L9i and consider an L9x65. I've got both and theres a huge difference in TDP/cooling capacity. 

That motherboard only has 4 sata ports so you'll probably want an HBA card as well for connecting the HDD's

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

38 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Have you considered the likes of the Node 304? It only holds 6 x 3.5" HDD's but far better airflow - theres also the Node 804 which can hold 8 drives but is an mATX chassis. 

Just a word of warning the DS380B is known to not have the best airflow, so the drives can get prety warm

You may want to also reconsider the L9i and consider an L9x65. I've got both and theres a huge difference in TDP/cooling capacity. 

That motherboard only has 4 sata ports so you'll probably want an HBA card as well for connecting the HDD's

I didn't no. Both those cases are nice and I've used Fractal Design before. If the airflow of the DS380B isn't that good then I would reconsider but I do want something that is small and quite. 6 x 3.5" HDD does limit on expandability in the future compared to 8. I don't think I would need more than 8. Given the Node 804 looks the better option, I do have a old 5820K not being used that could instead be used in this NAS with a mATX board. Any recommendation of board? I do have a MSI X99A SLI Plus but it's ATX and too big for a NAS. Smaller is better in my situation. A cube case would make the height a little lower but mATX would be the limit.