What Linux distribution do you suggest for daily use?

I use my computer everyday for various reasons:

1. programming in c++, android(java), java(in general)
  2. listening to music(spotify), watching movies
  3. browsing internet, watching youtube clips
  4. writing various documents
  5. studying in general (I am a student)
  6. flashing custom roms to my android phone (now and then)

Currently I am using ubuntu 13.04, but it is not really well polished (I think...). I would like to ask for your tips and suggestions, what would fit my needs the most?

I really like global menu in ubuntu. To be honest, I really like the whole shell of macs osx. I would buy mac for sure, if I had money for it. For obvious reasons, I have to stick with searching for perfect linux distro which has features similar to osx :)

So, your tips and suggestions are more then welcome. Thank you!

For similar to OSX, I can't entirely help, though Ubuntu is probably it for the dock and 'app store' of sorts.

I have become very fond of Linux Mint and while also not perfect, it provides me with a very nice traditional desktop environment to work in, with all the available software that Ubuntu provides so that would be my suggestion, but to each their own.

Currently I am using ubuntu 13.04, but it is not really well polished (I think...). I would like to ask for your tips and suggestions, what would fit my needs the most?

I really like global menu in ubuntu. To be honest, I really like the whole shell of macs osx. I would buy mac for sure, if I had money for it. For obvious reasons, I have to stick with searching for perfect linux distro which has features similar to osx :)

For a Decent PC go for Linux Mint or Linux Lite(Lite is my new favorite), for a older PC go puppy

Obvious suggestion if you're coming from Ubuntu would be Linux MINT, but since you like the OS X look I suggest you also look into Elementary OS. 

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Ubuntu Gnome is my favorite.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

I have tried Linux Mint. Didn't really liked the shell. I really do enjoy ubuntus unity (most people hate it, but I love it).
Elementary os is extremely buggy (especially on nvidias side) and it doesn't have global menu.

you can take a look at http://www.hackintosh.com

otherwise, you can dive deap into linux and try different distributions and desktop management systems

i am not a native speaker of the english language

[spoiler=My Rig: ]CPU: i7-3770k@Stock | Ram: 3x4GB@1600Mhz | Graka: 660TI@Stock | Storage: 250GB 840Evo, 1x1TB,2x2TB,2x640GB,1x500GB (JBOD) + NAS: DLINK DNS-320 2x3TB Raid1

I have tried Linux Mint. Didn't really liked the shell. I really do enjoy ubuntus unity (most people hate it, but I love it).

Elementary os is extremely buggy (especially on nvidias side) and it doesn't have global menu.

Have you tried Kubuntu?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I fuck with mint pretty hard

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

Just get Debian and install all these window managers so you get all the listed supposed distros:

Xfce4

FluxBox

Gnome

GnomeClassic

KDE

ICEwm

and if you want something super lame so you know how things have progressed

FVWM2 or TWM

The underlying OS is the freaking same, but the window manager is all that basically differentiates them.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

tried them all and my favorite by a long stretch is Ubuntu

Oh-really? You've tried them 'ALL'

Is that all the window managers? Because there is a lot of them. 

http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

Or do you mean distributions? Because then there are even more than there are window managers..

http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/12.10/gldt1210.svg

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Looked at hackintosh. I would love to try it, but my computer, I believe, is not compatible for it. I have a laptop msi fx600. Core i5 first gen. processor, 4gb of ddr3 ram, 120gb samsung ssd and intel wifi link 1000bgn card. As far as I know, the biggest issue is wifi card, because it is not compatible with osx.

I suggest Arch LinuX. It has a somewhat steep learning curve for the uninitiated and isn't for your average user, but when installed properly you got one of the fastest distros out there. I should warn you though that Arch LinuX is a rolling release distro, meaning it doesn't have milestone iterations like most distros. This could be considered an unsafe practice as some of the newly patched kernels or software are not properly tested for all types of hardware setups and can actually break your distros boot process in some cases, so keep that USB stick ready. Adding the fact that the distro contains pretty much the latest versions of LinuX software and you know Arch LinuX is considered bleeding edge, with an emphasis on the "bleeding".

But again if you are a developer in the know then Arch LinuX is an awesome playgraound that you can turn in to an install that will last you a LONG time. Let me give you a quick overview:

• It is NOT completely FOSS compliant. For some people this is a killer, so I thought I should mention it. The package repos and the AUR contain many proprietary packages.
  • The install process is as barebone as you get with little in the way of user interfaces. But there's plenty of room to tweak and optimize your setup to your wants and needs.
  • The wiki docs are very helpful and expansive. You pretty much rely on them throughout the install and while generally tinkering with the OS.
  • The kernel is practically vanilla, with the exception of a few patches, meaning you get the pure LinuX experience behind the curtains.
  • Uses systemd and dbus for all their worth (none of this compromise crap) and godDAMN it's a friggin delight to see LinuX work so well out of the box.
  • The package system has the interface called "pacman" where you don't install but "sync" what you want to install ("pacman -S firefox"). It's one of the fastest and most lightweight package managers available
  • Has a user repository called AUR where you can get for instance various differing versions of the same thing, like for instance nvidia drivers and different kernels as well. You have to either download the buildfiles (which are build manifestos to be used in an automated building process) and build them yourself, or install something like yaourt which can be used to install things from both AUR and pacman and AUTOMATE ALL THE THINGS!

I've used all sorts of distros. In the old days Debian was pretty much the alpha and omega. Both Fedora and Debian are pretty good desktop solutions (nothing to write home about though) and Ubuntu, Mint, etc all "add to the user experience". But for me, if you want to have a lightweight operating system with the added ability to change whatever the heck you please, that works efficiently and smoothly (for the most part - as stated previously one update can sink you and leave you googling for hours) but that is also a playground where you get the latest in LinuX software? Then look no further than Arch Linux.

Thoroughness rating
#########

I suggest Arch LinuX. It has a somewhat steep learning curve for the uninitiated and isn't for your average user, but when installed properly you got one of the fastest distros out there. I should warn you though that Arch LinuX is a rolling release distro, meaning it doesn't have milestone iterations like most distros. This could be considered an unsafe practice as some of the newly patched kernels or software are not properly tested for all types of hardware setups and can actually break your distros boot process in some cases, so keep that USB stick ready. Adding the fact that the distro contains pretty much the latest versions of LinuX software and you know Arch LinuX is considered bleeding edge, with an emphasis on the "bleeding".

But again if you are a developer in the know then Arch LinuX is an awesome playgraound that you can turn in to an install that will last you a LONG time. Let me give you a quick overview:

• It is NOT completely FOSS compliant. For some people this is a killer, so I thought I should mention it. The package repos and the AUR contain many proprietary packages.
  • The install process is as barebone as you get with little in the way of user interfaces. But there's plenty of room to tweak and optimize your setup to your wants and needs.
  • The wiki docs are very helpful and expansive. You pretty much rely on them throughout the install and while generally tinkering with the OS.
  • The kernel is practically vanilla, with the exception of a few patches, meaning you get the pure LinuX experience behind the curtains.
  • Uses systemd and dbus for all their worth (none of this compromise crap) and godDAMN it's a friggin delight to see LinuX work so well out of the box.
  • The package system has the interface called "pacman" where you don't install but "sync" what you want to install ("pacman -S firefox"). It's one of the fastest and most lightweight package managers available
  • Has a user repository called AUR where you can get for instance various differing versions of the same thing, like for instance nvidia drivers and different kernels as well. You have to either download the buildfiles (which are build manifestos to be used in an automated building process) and build them yourself, or install something like yaourt which can be used to install things from both AUR and pacman and AUTOMATE ALL THE THINGS!

I've used all sorts of distros. In the old days Debian was pretty much the alpha and omega. Both Fedora and Debian are pretty good desktop solutions (nothing to write home about though) and Ubuntu, Mint, etc all "add to the user experience". But for me, if you want to have a lightweight operating system with the added ability to change whatever the heck you please, that works efficiently and smoothly (for the most part - as stated previously one update can sink you and leave you googling for hours) but that is also a playground where you get the latest in LinuX software? Then look no further than Arch Linux.

I really do love ArchLinux and for a advanced user it is a solid recommendation. Although I would suggest installing every OS you think about using in a VM, before you actually install it. This is a pretty good overview https://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-linux-distributions#toc5....

If I had to pick only 1 distro I could use, it would probably be Kali Linux.

So you actually recommend a debian based system?!?

So you actually recommend a debian based system?!?

Why not? They're amazingly stable. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Why not? They're amazingly stable. 

Yes, they are amazing :)...just wanted to point out that kali is based on debian :D...I would recommend a stable debian to pretty much anybody:).

I can see why some people don't want to go Debian vanilla. Partly because Debian "lags behind" in regards to software updates. The reality is that Debian has strict guidelines for what is to be considered stable and secure. That being said Debian derivatives bridges the gap by managing their own packages and distributing different versions than that which comes with Debian stable.

But I just can't help but feel that trying something like Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE (which is a valid option btw, opensuse does very well for it self) wouldn't be the best choice for a budding young developer. I suggested Arch LinuX strictly because it's the kind of distro for an inquisitive sort, a distro for someone who would like to look in to LinuX without all the extra bagage that comes with the top distros. Therefor it provides a clearer view to what GNU/LinuX really is. That's enough harping for Arch LinuX, I might make a post about it in the future though...

Thoroughness rating
#########

Yes, they are amazing :)...just wanted to point out that kali is based on debian :D...I would recommend a stable debian to pretty much anybody:).

Kali Linux sounds pretty cool; might try it out, or simply use BlackArch to integrate it into my existing Arch install.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2