Best Cheap Camera for Videography/Photography

AimTuxx

Hi. I used to do plenty of Videography/Photography. Anyways I've been out of it for a while and was wondering which cameras you all would recommend me. Need something not huge, and under $2000

Thank you! - AimTuxx

1 minute ago, AimTuxx said:

Hi. I used to do plenty of Videography/Photography. Anyways I've been out of it for a while and was wondering which cameras you all would recommend me. Need something not huge, and under $2000

Thank you! - AimTuxx

What features are you looking for? 4k, 60fps, higher exposure range, does well in low light, has flip up screen???

idk tbh

1 minute ago, Greenish said:

What features are you looking for? 4k, 60fps, higher exposure range, does well in low light, has flip up screen???

Hi, 4k is optional but def a plus. Good in low light is a must as I do night photoshoots. Flip screen isn't a need, honestly i've had nothing but problems with flip screen cameras. Any suggestions

1 minute ago, AimTuxx said:

Hi, 4k is optional but def a plus. Good in low light is a must as I do night photoshoots. Flip screen isn't a need, honestly i've had nothing but problems with flip screen cameras. Any suggestions

I would suggest the Sony A7II it has AMAZING low light and 4k photos (it has the flip up screen but you dont need to use it). If this doesn't wet your whistle then I would reccomend a camera from Sony because they have great low light stuff thingamabobsies

idk tbh

15 minutes ago, Greenish said:

I would suggest the Sony A7II it has AMAZING low light and 4k photos (it has the flip up screen but you dont need to use it). If this doesn't wet your whistle then I would reccomend a camera from Sony because they have great low light stuff thingamabobsies

Thank you very much, I will look into it. Anyone else have opinions/something they'd like to share on the thread?

3 hours ago, AimTuxx said:

Thank you! - AimTuxx

The Panasonic GH5 is absolutely amazing

5 hours ago, Will76scout said:

The Panasonic GH5 is absolutely amazing

For videos maybe (except the autofocus), but for photos, hell no. It doesn't have good higher ISO performance either.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

@AimTuxx What is your split between photo and video? 60/40? What kind of things do you shoot? There are a TON of really great cameras in the >$2000 market right now, especially if you are willing to go for used or last generation models.

For most people, I think the Fuji X-H1 and X-T3 are the best options at this exact moment. The X-H1 is, to quote Hugh Brownstone, this year's camera in next year's body. It has IBIS and Relay recording and a special video mode for video settings. the X-T3 is more photo focused, next years camera in this year's body. No IBIS, but better image processing and the same amazing controls as the X-T2. Both have access to the most complete APS-C lens lineup on the market.

However, your specific uses could call for Full Frame (you say you shoot low light, the night vision of the A7SII could be better for you there), or a M4/3 camera like the GH5 (can anyone say 4K60fps with IBIS?). Plus, there is the impending Photokina event in Germany, where it is likely we will see even more new cameras. So it is really hard to make recommendations right now. 

A7iii or A7s ii are two very good options for video and the A7iii is amazing for photos too, the A7s ii is pretty good for photos too. The fujifilm XT3 looks promising too. 

If you don’t need 4K look at canons options like the 6D mark ii. 

But if lenses should be in your budget too you should probably look at a body in the 1000$ class like the a6300/a6500, G85 and maybe a used XT-2 or a Canon 80D 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

21 hours ago, Bustapalapeno said:

@AimTuxx What is your split between photo and video? 60/40? What kind of things do you shoot? There are a TON of really great cameras in the >$2000 market right now, especially if you are willing to go for used or last generation models.

For most people, I think the Fuji X-H1 and X-T3 are the best options at this exact moment. The X-H1 is, to quote Hugh Brownstone, this year's camera in next year's body. It has IBIS and Relay recording and a special video mode for video settings. the X-T3 is more photo focused, next years camera in this year's body. No IBIS, but better image processing and the same amazing controls as the X-T2. Both have access to the most complete APS-C lens lineup on the market.

However, your specific uses could call for Full Frame (you say you shoot low light, the night vision of the A7SII could be better for you there), or a M4/3 camera like the GH5 (can anyone say 4K60fps with IBIS?). Plus, there is the impending Photokina event in Germany, where it is likely we will see even more new cameras. So it is really hard to make recommendations right now. 

Videography: 40%

Photgraphy 60%

I've decided to go with the Sony A7I & I haven't decided on my lenses yet. Thanks everyone for the help!

20 hours ago, AimTuxx said:

Photgraphy 60%

I've decided to go with the Sony A7I & I haven't decided on my lenses yet. Thanks everyone for the help!

I would not recommend the a7I. It is several generations old at this point. It was great at the time, but autofocus performance, sensor performance, video performance, all of it is going to suffer, even when compared to a crop sensor camera like the a6500. Most important is IBIS, which makes handheld video, even with long lenses, a viable option. I can see an argument for the A7II, but not the A7I.

I rarely suggest it, but I think the a6500 (or upcoming a6700) is a better choice here. The Fuji’s are better bodies, but I don’t think Fuji has a constant aperture power zoom like the Sony E 18-105 F4, which is an amazing tool for video (power zoom gives you creative zoom options you don’t get otherwise). Sony also has some good E and FE glass for portraits like the Sony 35, Sigma 30, Sony 85, and Sony 55. 

On 19/09/2018 at 11:00 PM, AimTuxx said:

Photgraphy 60%

The a7 was crap when it first came out, it hasn't gotten any better in the mean time. You'd be better off with a 5dmk3, at least you wouldn't have to sell your kidney to get a proper lens for it. If you don't need a power zoom, and I'm not entirely sure why you would, Then go with fuji on Canon given your budget and the fact you are a hybrid shooter and don't really require 4k.

The xt3 is truly an amazing camera (as close to perfect as it gets) and is within your price range too and you can probably get it with the 18-55mm or 18-135mm which are both excellent lenses. You may even have some left over for a 35mm f/2.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

19 hours ago, cc143 said:

The a7 was crap when it first came out, it hasn't gotten any better in the mean time. You'd be better off with a 5dmk3, at least you wouldn't have to sell your kidney to get a proper lens for it. If you don't need a power zoom, and I'm not entirely sure why you would, Then go with fuji on Canon given your budget and the fact you are a hybrid shooter and don't really require 4k.

The xt3 is truly an amazing camera (as close to perfect as it gets) and is within your price range too and you can probably get it with the 18-55mm or 18-135mm which are both excellent lenses. You may even have some left over for a 35mm f/2.

Mostly agreed. As a videographer, slow and even zooms are a good tool to have depending on what type of shoot you are trying to do. But if you don't need it you don't need it.

The X-T3 is expected to be an amazing camera, but reviews really aren't out yet so we can't be 100% sure. Given OP is looking at an ~$800 A7I, the XT-2 may be a better fit for his price range. Even if it isn't the X-T3 doesn't add sooooo much that buying an older body and better glass might be a good trade off as well. Just some thoughts. Either way, don't get an A7I.