IS MY POWER SUPPLY DYING?

SINCLR

Hi guys! 

My pc has started having a delay when you hit the power button before "powering on".....this is also happening on a restart.....it seems to completely power down then 2 secs later boot up...

I've had a dig around online, some people say maybe the CMOS battery on the motherboard  needs replacing..if that is even possible?  OR and simply the PSU is about to crap out?...

HELP PLEASE :-( 

I don't have $170 for a new PSU 

6 minutes ago, SINCLR said:

Hi guys! 

My pc has started having a delay when you hit the power button before "powering on".....this is also happening on a restart.....it seems to completely power down then 2 secs later boot up...

I've had a dig around online, some people say maybe the CMOS battery on the motherboard  needs replacing..if that is even possible?  OR and simply the PSU is about to crap out?...

HELP PLEASE :-( 

I don't have $170 for a new PSU 

if your PSU was about to die you would see reboots and blue screens when using your pc and especially when under load.  It's possible that it could be at fault but unlikely if you haven't noticed any other issues. 

It's worth looking into your PSU, if you have a good one from a reputable brand it and it's not very old it should be okay. However if it's a cheap one, at low watage and efficiancy, despite what it says on the label it may be barely capable of running your system and it's more likley that it will fail soon if it's constantly working near it's limits all the time.

Replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh new one is not a bad idea, especially if your motherboard is slightly older.

Have you made any recent changes to the BIOS/UEFI or settings that may have caused this sort of behaviour?

2 hours ago, simtransporter said:

if your PSU was about to die you would see reboots and blue screens when using your pc and especially when under load.  It's possible that it could be at fault but unlikely if you haven't noticed any other issues. 

It's worth looking into your PSU, if you have a good one from a reputable brand it and it's not very old it should be okay. However if it's a cheap one, at low watage and efficiancy, despite what it says on the label it may be barely capable of running your system and it's more likley that it will fail soon if it's constantly working near it's limits all the time.

Replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh new one is not a bad idea, especially if your motherboard is slightly older.

Have you made any recent changes to the BIOS/UEFI or settings that may have caused this sort of behaviour?

i was playing around in there yesterday when it started but everything is how it was before the issue. It is a china/ebay psu but its been solid for almost 3 years now - 1000w - system only draws 550-600ish and thats when gaming loads up. motherboard is a gigabyte 970 gaming

Seems to be solved after loading optimised defaults in bios....which is strange as i changed everything back (pretty sure) when i was fiddlin...ah well take the win - thanks people :-) 

It's your motherboard.