Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce High Temps

Tommaso_

Hi, i have something weird happening to my 970, i had this GPU for around 2-3 years and I've never had problem with it but recently the temps while gaming are getting really high and i can't find the reason why this is happening, the strange thing is actually that the backplate gets really really hot and i can barely touch it for a couple of seconds and it started doing this some few months ago. I regularly change the thermal paste and the heat pads every year... Does someone have an idea of what may be causing this?

Update:I had forgotten to put the temps:

At idle:~30C

While gaming: ~80C

Just now, Motifator said:

Is the cooler making contact with the die properly?

Yes, from what i can see it seems that is making good contact.

15 minutes ago, Tommaso_ said:

Hi, i have something weird happening to my 970, i had this GPU for around 2-3 years and I've never had problem with it but recently the temps while gaming are getting really high and i can't find the reason why this is happening, the strange thing is actually that the backplate gets really really hot and i can barely touch it for a couple of seconds and it started doing this some few months ago. I regularly change the thermal paste and the heat pads every year... Does someone have an idea of what may be causing this?

What are your idle and load temps? The backplate being hot to the touch is not a good metric since your hand is not an accurate tool of measuring temperature. 

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

What are your idle and load temps? The backplate being hot to the touch is not a good metric since your hand is not an accurate tool of measuring temperature. 

Yeah, sorry, i forgot to put the temperatures.

At idle: 30C

While gaming: 80C

The backplate is not simply "hot" it's very hot and i don't remember it being this hot before.

Just now, Tommaso_ said:

Yeah, sorry, i forgot to put the temperatures.

At idle: 30C

While gaming: 80C

The backplate is not simply "hot" it's very hot and i don't remember it being this hot before.

That's not bad still, I assume it's overclocked? As said temperature by feel is not accurate, only way to determine it is imperially using a temp probe, it's not uncommon for backplate to be uncomfortably hot for one's hand. 

Just now, W-L said:

That's not bad still, I assume it's overclocked? As said temperature by feel is not accurate, only way to determine it is imperially using a temp probe, it's not uncommon for backplate to be uncomfortably hot for one's hand. 

Nope, it's not overclocked, and unfortunately i broke the only temperature probe i had for my multimeter so i can't check the real temperature.

Just now, Tommaso_ said:

Nope, it's not overclocked, and unfortunately i broke the only temperature probe i had for my multimeter so i can't check the real temperature.

Get a temp probe to see the backplate is probably at around 60-70C if it's not comfortable to touch, as for the card 80C isn't a problem as it will still boost up, once it start peaking past 85C I'd see about promoting better airflow since those downdraft cards tend to throw heat everywhere inside of a case. 

Just now, W-L said:

Get a temp probe to see the backplate is probably at around 60-70C if it's not comfortable to touch, as for the card 80C isn't a problem as it will still boost up, once it start peaking past 85C I'd see about promoting better airflow since those downdraft cards tend to throw heat everywhere inside of a case. 

Ok thanks, i'll try getting another probe as soon as i can.