Windows will not activate no matter what I try

jftech/drones

Hi,

I have a laptop that originally came with activated Windows 7 including a key which I then upgraded to Windows 10. However, after later doing a clean install of Win10, I misplaced the key so I had to follow a guide to activate Windows using the writer's KMS as I needed this laptop desperately. I have now found the key and tried to activate Windows using it but it won't work. Things I've tried:

• Typing the key into PC Settings (slui): error 0xc004f034
  • Running slmgr /ipk [key] as admin: error 0xc004f050 The software licensing service reported that the key is invalid
  • slmgr /rearm (I know this isn't activation): changes nothing
  • I would try phone activation but I can't even set the product key

I believe the problem is that my PC is still trying to connect to the aforementioned KMS server to validate the original key. Is there any way to disable KMS?

Edited by colonel_mortis
Remove link to windows activation guide per piracy rules - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/530646-community-standards/

Start by reinstalling OS. That clears up anything that could cause issues.

As for key. Since its laptop, and with Win7, key is located on COA sticker which is usually at bottom of laptop. If its too badly worn out, no can do. You could have retrieved key while in activated Win7/10, but new install will refresh that mark. There's slight light. If you have used your MS account to login to laptop, key is connected to that account. Just login and it will activate. If not, again, no can do.

As those are options, you can also run it unactivated or man up and buy another key.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you have the key and it just won't activate, you can always contact Microsoft's support chat (or web-chat or whatever they call it).  I've had pretty good luck with them running their remote-connect software and activating the system for me (provided that I do provide them with the correct key).  I've had to do this when my motherboard died and they were pretty chill about the whole thing. 

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

Ok thanks anyway guys, I posted this on another forum and a guy told me to change the activation method with MS Toolkit. I tried that and it is now working fine.

Also, as for buying another key, that wasn't the problem. If I had reinstalled that would also be an acceptable fix but I wanted to avoid that. 

On 2.9.2018 at 11:44 PM, jftech/drones said:

Ok thanks anyway guys, I posted this on another forum and a guy told me to change the activation method with MS Toolkit. I tried that and it is now working fine.

Also, as for buying another key, that wasn't the problem. If I had reinstalled that would also be an acceptable fix but I wanted to avoid that. 

Yeah... You've just pirated it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you're installed something like KMS, you can always uninstall it the same way you installed it.

6 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yeah... You've just pirated it.

The "free upgrade" to 10 should auto register even with a fresh install, right?

4 hours ago, TechyBen said:

The "free upgrade" to 10 should auto register even with a fresh install, right?

It should. The comment made was for using this "MS Toolkit". Google if you don't believe me. Its basically tool to create keys or cracks for Microsoft software. Making it piracy.

Problem is that OP has already once used KMS, a tool for activating Enterprice/volume copies. Using that for private use is against MS ToS = piracy. The fact this is still open is that original posts is asking help for un-pirating Windows. And now OP has fallen back to piracy. I've already reported this thread (again).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

-Thread locked-

Any discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed, including the discussion of hacking or cracking.

• Discussion of piracy in general is acceptable (e.g. "Game X becomes the most pirated game ever").
  • Hackintosh discussion is permitted.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!