Keep Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework (DPTF) Uninstalled

Hi all,

I recently found out that Intel DPTF kills performance on ultrabook CPUs with the dumb thought process that "85C is too hot to touch on an ultrabook, but 70C is A-Okay", and with my laptop that uses an i5-8250u which needs a measly 25W of power to get to full 3.4 Ghz performance across all 4 cores (at ~80C), DPTF seems to think 8W 800 Mhz (~65C) is better anytime outside of the 30 sec short turbo boost. That makes the difference between 32 and 60fps averages in games. [Apparently some laptops come with power plan settings to configure the levels of DPTF, but mine didn't]

After finding this out and uninstalling the "Processor Participant", I found out it reinstalls itself pretty frequently, and I read that because of that, people recommend changing the write permissions of the folders it uses, C:\Windows\System32 & C:\Windows\System32\drivers, but that didn't sound right to me. Am I mistaken in thinking that taking off write permissions for the folders would keep other drivers from installing/updating there as well? Is there a way to keep specific drivers uninstalled without modifying the permissions for all of them? If it helps the specificity, the only part of DPTF that needs to stay uninstalled is the Processor Participant which uses WdfCoInstaller01011.dll and dptf_cpu.sys, though the other "devices" of DPTF use the CoInstaller as well, so I'm not sure if that's necessary to keep deleted.

Anyone have input/advice?

• 3 weeks later...

I know you said your device didn't come with the ability to disable it, but just to clarify, did you check in the advanced power plan settings? Also, what device are you running?

Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Edit Plan Settings

that has a menu tree with a handful of throttling and sleep options. on my Acer Switch Alpha 12, the thermal framework setting is clearly labeled. But I haven't yet installed my generic build of Windows 10; I'm still running the Acer version, which might be different.

Also, some laptops have an option to disable it right in the BIOS.  but of course YMMV

Incidentally, I found this while searching for how to ensure that my 7.5-watt throttling is enabled, because I'm sick of my fanless, water-cooled 2-in-1 from getting super hot like it does at 15W/25W turbo

• 2 weeks later...

Haha that's ironic that you stumble upon this for the opposite reason I've presented it [meanwhile no one who's come for the same reason has responded in ~a month -_-].

Laptop is Acer Nitro Spin 5, also a 2 in 1, like yours, but mine does have fans and a GTX 1050 that I can't fully utilize because of DPTF, and I have an laptop cooler for when I'm doing more demanding gaming. Perhaps I'm also running some special Acer version of W10 which is why it doesn't display? I don't think installing fresh Windows 10 is a good idea though since I also use my laptop for digital art, drivers for which I may lose without Acer's installation [cannot confirm myself, just a risk I'd prefer not to take].

You can see below, there is no options for disabling it in the Edit Power Settings Control Panel section.

5ba850f653d27_forum1.PNG.5ed058916f89965d1f26b68cc32dc7fb.PNG

The Power Options branch is no better, as it does display a DPTF section, but no disabling, only wattage management, which doesn't seem to affect anything because it still throttles down past what's displayed.

5ba850ff11177_forum2.PNG.a4ce5f277436c412beedbceba9faa338.PNG

I'd like to avoid BIOS tweaking for the time being as long as I still have warranty on the machine, but I guess thanks for the info anyways.

Disable windows automatic install driver and disable it after install. Keep an eye out when installing updates

On 9/23/2018 at 8:02 PM, TLCH723 said:

Disable windows automatic install driver and disable it after install. Keep an eye out when installing updates

When you say "Disable windows automatic install driver", do you mean device driver installation, or a different automatic driver installation? Cause if its device installation, that would affect a lot of other drivers on my laptop, which I wanted to avoid doing if possible [if you read the OP]. If it's some other ADI, then can you explain how to do that please&thanks?

@RelariisTheParadox You can stop intel thermal framework by removing sys permissions on the driver folders it installs too (basically remove permission for windows updater to install to its driver location). Try this:-

1. switch off wifi / lan - YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CONNECTED TO INTERNET otherwise windows will re-install software while you complete other steps.

2. Goto control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. : 

UNINSTALL "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from Device Manager"

!!DO NOT RESTART LAPTOP!!

3. Now we need to stop windows from automatically installing it again. 

GOTO "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository"

Find Folder "esif_manager.inf_amd64_a75284e9a5c086ed"

Open folder properties -> Security Tab -> Click the Advanced Button.

In the Advanced Security Window DISABLE INHERITANCE and Remove Access Permissions BUT Add yourself as having access (in case you want to undo these changes)

Apply

Go Into The Folder and delete evenring in the folder.

Find Folder "dptf_acpi.inf_amd64_9ae0ce96bc411cd1"

In the Advanced Security Window DISABLE INHERITANCE and Remove Access Permissions BUT Add yourself as having access (in case you want to undo these changes)

Apply

Find Folder "dptf_cpu.inf_amd64_e1adf0f50a965f0c"

In the Advanced Security Window DISABLE INHERITANCE and Remove Access Permissions BUT Add yourself as having access (in case you want to undo these changes)

Apply

4. Switch your wifi/lan back on.

5. Restart Laptop

you should find now that intel thermal framework cannot re-install. You will see in "Windows Update" control panel that it reports that it cannot install it.

ALSO IMPORTANT: You will need to use something like throttlestop to undervolt and keep cpu a little cooler. Without Intel Thermal Framework to trigger throttling if you put cpu under constant stress (video encoding) it will go above 90 degrees easily and when it hits 100 laptop will shutdown.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hey I also have the Nitro Spin 5. The thing is when you do go into FileRepository and change those files, your battery life is greatly reduced. Without the DPTF the laptop only lasts for a maximum of 3 hours when it usually lasts for 12 hours. Is there any way to stop DPTF while gaming and not affect your battery life when doing school work?