is this tech?

so i have my old car with only a CD drive, but i want to be able to hook up my phone for music. how should i do this? is there some kind of adapter?

New headunit would be the best way. 

If you don't want to replaced the headunit, then you could use an Aux FM transmitter to pick up music from your phone using the car's radio. 

Check if the Current head unit has an AUX or alternate input of some kind.  You might be able to wire a cable for your phone.  

If your car has Bluetooth OR a headphone jack you can either hook it up via Bluetooth or plug in a male to male auxiliary cable to your phone and the car.

And I guess if it has a technical answer then yes it is tech :)

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

Just now, TechMasterMind said:

If your car has Bluetooth OR a headphone jack you can either hook it up via Bluetooth or plug in a male to male auxiliary cable to your phone and the car.

And I guess if it has a technical answer then yes it is tech :)

it has neither which is where im stuck

If your stereo has a 3.5mm aux port and your phone has a headphone jack, you can buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. Other than that you can buy a FM transmitter that you can bluetooth your phone to. It'll probably run off a 12V socket.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

5 minutes ago, NovaMan01 said:

it has neither which is where im stuck

Then I'm not familiar enough with modding cars to help find you some custom solution (which is probably the road you're gonna have to go down) but beware this MIGHT count as modding your car insurance wise knowing how silly insurance policies can be but I doubt it.

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

What model is your current head unit?

no idea but the car is a Toyota Avalon 1998

3 minutes ago, NovaMan01 said:

no idea but the car is a Toyota Avalon 1998

If you get the model number or even a picture of the head unit I can check to see if it has an aux port in the back.  Or is it the factory head unit?

Like this -

Image result for 1998 avalon interior

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

If you get the model number or even a picture of the head unit I can check to see if it has an aux port in the back.  Or is it the factory head unit?

Like this -

Image result for 1998 avalon interior

852F1779-27E4-465E-92C2-54BF37B13BD2.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Yomikoo-Interface-1998-2002-1998-2004-Highlander/dp/B01EUZ8G10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534457087&sr=8-1&keywords=aux+adapter+for+1998+avalon#customerReviews

You need something like this.  Do a little research and find the right one for your make/model.  You WILL have to pull the unit out to install in, but if you want to plug in your phone, this will work.