Nvidia GTX 670 vs 680 vs Titan

Kayn

OK one of my friend is asking me which one of these cards he should use as an upgrade from his 560 TI. From my understanding from graphics cards I can help a little with his decision but I dont know too much about Nvidia's GPUs. I do know that he is going to be playing games and using adobe premiere products. He is using a dual monitor set up that is about 22-23 inches that are both 1080p. He is not going to be ordering the cards right now but soon and wants to know more info.

Thanks for any information and help with picking GPUs.

PS: I do know that he wants an EVGA card since they have worked very well for him in the past

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

670 is the best bang for your buck. Only issue with EVGA is they use mostly reference designs which mean poorer cooling and less OC potential.

Summer build: I7-4770K @ 4.5GHz, 4x4GB (Alternative black/red) DDR3 1600MHz, HD 7970GHz Water blocked, XSPC res/pump combo, 2 dual 120MM radiators, Corsair 350D Case, Corsair AX860I 80+ Gold PSU, custom red individually sleeved cables, red tubing w/ silver/chrome compression fittings, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, ASrock Z87 MATX professional board, and a Corsair Vengeance K60 keyboard.

670 for gaming or Titan for editing/rendering

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I'd say 670 if hes stuck on nvidia,but advise him to go with the AMD 7950 since

-adobe is working to implement open CL acceleration in their next suite of products.

-it overclocks better than the 670.

-it has more memory than the (reference)670

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

what is his budget ?

if the budget is no concern then go with the titan. If there are budget constrains then consider the 670 because its really good bang for the buck as written before me.

what are the rest of his components?

these cards don't make sense if he has crappy rest of the hardware...

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

The 680 is about 4.5% better than the 670 for 80 dollars more.

The Titan is about 35% better than the 680 for about 550 dollars more.

So I'd say the only two options are 670 (if budget is important) or Titan (if budget is not important)

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I don't know exactly all of his hardware but I do know he has an Intel i7 2600k, corsair ram and psu, an Asus motherboard and other decent components. After talking to him he does have a budget of about 500 and is deciding between a 670 and 680 and is willing to look at other companies besides EVGA. Right now the one that is really catching is eye is the msi gtx 680 twin frozr OC edition

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

He really should just get a 670. Way more cost effective and nearly as good.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'd recommend the 7970, it costs as much as a 670 but is as fast or faster than a 680 & it has 3GB of VRAM on 384bit interface instead of 2GB on a 256bit interface which gives it a very sharp edge over the 680 & 670 with anti aliasing.

perf_oc.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7970_X_Turbo/31.html

Anti Aliasing bottleneck

Framerate%201920x1080%20Percent.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,3283-13.html

Adobe is going to release a new version of their software suite that supports OpenCL, so AMD cards will finally get support on windows.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Adobe-AMD-Premiere-FirePro-OpenCL,21872.html

It's also worth noting that an HD 7970 with the same clock speeds as a GTX 680 is faster & because the 680 is voltage locked, the 7970 can achieve higher clocks, widening the performance gap even further.

The 7970 also has more VRAM, comes with two premium games (Crysis 3 & Bioshock Infinite) & is less expensive than the 680.

11_797vs68_big.png

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/his-iceq-x2-7970-7950-7850_11.html#sect5

I don't know much about editing power from the gpu side. but Didn't Linus say that Cuda for editing was really good (or rather diesel told him that it was really good. that might be the reason his sticking with Nvidia rather than AMD).

Only get a 680 if he really willing to blow all his budget he set on a card. 670 is a great card. And I personally like the Twin Frozr design (thats just me tho)

Because his doing editing, I highly suggest you do some research on how Cuda or the AMD equiv. does in the programs his using. Once you get that research done, you'll be able to better determine whats better for his programs and choose depending on how value ordinate he is.

All the cards he will buy will handle games easily, so no problem there.

The 680 is about 4.5% better than the 670 for 80 dollars more.

The Titan is about 35% better than the 680 for about 550 dollars more.

So I'd say the only two options are 670 (if budget is important) or Titan (if budget is not important)

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Passmark is not a reliable benchmark site. The 690 loses to the 680, among other things. In general their results are pretty lobsided.

I don't know much about editing power from the gpu side. but Didn't Linus say that Cuda for editing was really good (or rather diesel told him that it was really good. that might be the reason his sticking with Nvidia rather than AMD).

Only get a 680 if he really willing to blow all his budget he set on a card. 670 is a great card. And I personally like the Twin Frozr design (thats just me tho)

Because his doing editing, I highly suggest you do some research on how Cuda or the AMD equiv. does in the programs his using. Once you get that research done, you'll be able to better determine whats better for his programs and choose depending on how value ordinate he is.

All the cards he will buy will handle games easily, so no problem there.

In the past that's been true but Adobe and AMD are now working together so the advantage of CUDA might be evened out soon.