SSD MacOS VM for windows 10

Nedders

Hi Guys,

1st post here so appreciate any help you can give. Recently bought an xps 9560, undervolted and about to upgrade ram to 32gb and repaste while I’m there. 

I only have 256gb of nvme ssd under the hood. So what I plan on doing is having 2 seperate external ssd for games and macOS. 

Does anyone have a link or could explain the steps involved in setting up a VM via an external ssd which can be mounted and dismounted when needed?

For example, Would I just install VMware onto the ssd along with the setup files for OSX or does VMware install

onto windows and then directed to the drive that macOS is installed on? 

I also presume i need to set a static drive letter for the ssd like the games drive. 

One last question, would there be any significant performance boost for the VM using a thunderbolt ssd over a usb3.0 ssd? 

Thanks ladies and gents :)

Running MacOS on VMs are horrible mostly because there's no graphics drivers.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

-= Locked =-

If you need help in setting VM's we can certain provide that assistance [please post a new thread with that request].

Running a MacOS on a system not designed for or separate from a Apple device (i.e. a VM) is against Apples EULA and this forum cannot provide said assistance.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER