1080p 144Hz IPS vs 1440p 120Hz TN on laptop

So... IPS is better but is it worth losing resolution just to get a better screen and 24fps or is a TN worth a higher resolution and a more then comfy 120Hz... I honestly dont know, I had shitty screens all my life so I just dont know what to take. Thers a 4k with 60Hz option to but 40 fps gaming is cancer for me sooooo... no thanks.

Comes down to personal taste tbh. I like IPS way more. Feels premium and looks really glossy and clean. What is the gpu pushing the frames though. If it can't handle 1440p, 120+ fps we can count it out

I would take the 1080p 144Hz IPS.

• 1080p vs 1440p on laptop, I'd be concerned with battery about, not a major concern but it's there, also 1080p to 1440p isn't that noticeable at least to me.

• 144Hz vs 120Hz is actually a higher jump than you'd think, that 24Hz extra is crucial, you have to see it to believe it.

• IPS vs TN is debatable for gaming, but IPS isn't that bad for gaming especially compensated by the 144Hz. Also IPS just looks so much nicer.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 minute ago, Tom is a Door said:

Comes down to personal taste tbh. I like IPS way more. Feels premium and looks really glossy and clean. What is the gpu pushing the frames though. If it can't handle 1440p, 120+ fps we can count it out

Its a 1080 with a I7 8700k and 32 GB or ram.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

I would take the 1080p 144Hz IPS.

• 1080p vs 1440p on laptop, I'd be concerned with battery about, not a major concern but it's there, also 1080p to 1440p isn't that noticeable at least to me.

• 144Hz vs 120Hz is actually a higher jump than you'd think, that 24Hz extra is crucial, you have to see it to believe it.

• IPS vs TN is debatable for gaming, but IPS isn't that bad for gaming especially compensated by the 144Hz. Also IPS just looks so much nicer.

Well I dont plan to play outside but play in different locations plugged in the wall anyway so battery life is not a problem to me. When it comes to fps im use to 60fps so 144 or 120 is anyway mind blowing to me. IPS vs TN is the thing i have no clue about.

For a desktop monitor I'd lean towards the 1440p screen, but not on a laptop.

A laptop screen is smaller, so it's harder to tell the difference between 1440p and 1080p.

A laptop screen is more likely to not be in exactly the right angle, exacerbating the viewing angle problem of a TN panel.

1440p will be harder for a laptop GPU to keep up with, and also use more battery power.

I'd go 1080p. The 1080 is awesome now and plenty for 1440p but as time goes on it will age. A lower resolution like 1080p will last longer and on a small laptop screen it still looks crisp and scaling is decent. I'd also more strongly recommend IPS for a laptop.

That's an F in the profile pic

3 minutes ago, AirWolf230 said:

IPS vs TN is the thing i have no clue about.

You need to look t some comparisons of IPS vs TN, the main differences being:

• IPS has nicer colors (TN has washed out colors 90% of the time)

• TN has lower response time - Good for gaming

• IPS has nicer/clearer viewing angles

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

4 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

A lower resolution like 1080p will last longer and on a small laptop screen it still looks crisp and scaling is decent.

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

1440p will be harder for a laptop GPU to keep up with, and also use more battery power.

It is a monster of a laptop... the only way it could be better is if it would be a SLI(but the heat that makes... uf), and 17 inch less then 50cm from you is a big screen.

4 minutes ago, seoz said:

You need to look t some comparisons of IPS vs TN, the main differences being:

• IPS has nicer colors (TN has washed out colors 90% of the time)

• TN has lower response time - Good for gaming

• IPS has nicer/clearer viewing angles

So the only true solution is good to a shop and see them next each other :/

5 minutes ago, AirWolf230 said:

So the only true solution is good to a shop and see them next each other :/

Yes. 

6 minutes ago, AirWolf230 said:

It is a monster of a laptop... the only way it could be better is if it would be a SLI(but the heat that makes... uf), and 17 inch less then 50cm from you is a big screen.

The 780m was also a monster of a laptop when it released. Hardware does get old and at 1080p you'll be hitting high FPS for longer without such a significant FPS drop. 

Anyway, it's all personal preference so just choose what you like 

That's an F in the profile pic

I'd stick with 1080p

I know, some will say it's "outdated" but the truth is that it's still a solid resolution 

Plus, I generally prefer having the higher viewable framerate 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'd stick with 1080p

I know, some will say it's "outdated" but the truth is that it's still a solid resolution 

Plus, I generally prefer having the higher viewable framerate 

Well thats on only thing im not shure about... since im jumping from 1080p 60fps to one of them to me its a win/win... the rest of the laptop im 99% shure what will i take(1% is if they release a new GPU in the next 2-3 months, i don't think so but who knows)