Linux refresh rate stuck and wont display on monitor

Sub_2_XanimalXG
Go to solution Solved by Bitter,

Not to bump a dead horse, but another option is to boot a live USB of either your current distro or an Ubuntu distro (I like Xubuntu) and then locate and delete the needed file to cause it to fail over to defaults at next boot.

I was changing my display settings in linux lite 3.8

And accidentally set my display to 85hz i expected it to change back after 15 seconds like windows  but it didnt and now im stuck

1532272758594403470268.jpg

can you borrow a second monitor to plug alongside and try to change it back?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

2 minutes ago, Neftex said:

can you borrow a second monitor to plug alongside and try to change it back?

Yeah ill try but i dont have a 85hz one

10 minutes ago, Neftex said:

can you borrow a second monitor to plug alongside and try to change it back

1532274423776983943081.jpg

You'll need to edit the config file for whatever display server that distro uses, you should be able to boot to command line and edit it with a command like sudo nano. I'm not familiar with that distro at all but google says it's ubuntu based so it should likely be something easily googled if you look for a fix to that problem with Ubuntu. You can get to a recovery console via the GRUB boot menu, but that may not appear by default, but I believe you can press or hold shift immediately after the POST screen to get the GRUB menu to show. This article may help, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Resetting_an_out-of-range_resolution

I'm of course still assuming that your distro uses the X display server. I hope this helps because this is pretty much the end of my knowledge on the subject, usually I just nuke and reinstall rather than trying to fix.

Not to bump a dead horse, but another option is to boot a live USB of either your current distro or an Ubuntu distro (I like Xubuntu) and then locate and delete the needed file to cause it to fail over to defaults at next boot.