I bought the Acer Nitro 5, and it's more than I was expecting.

Go to solution Solved by moji lollen,

thnk u very much... i should try some more finding one... this one has no fan in it and again i should have to find more piece... of u find then surely tell me.. im from india and here its rare ... i mean sooo rare... ok...thanks

A day or 2 ago, I watched the sponsored LTT video about the Acer Nitro 5 (on sale at Best buy for 650, or 690 with tax).

My first impressions were that of anyone who buys a laptop for light gaming. It's not sleek or slim, and it's got red on it. Sounds about right. 

But in the day of thin and light laptops, it's wholly refreshing to see a laptop with a removable plastic cover, revealing an empty user-replaceable ram slot (to take the laptop from 8gb to 16gb of the already installed 2666mhz ram). Also discovered, upon searching a bit more, was a full-sized M.2 slot. Whether it's an NVMe capable slot or just a regular SSD slot is beyond me, but it fit my 840 250gb drive in just fine anyway. And yes, it was recognized by windows, and is undergoing drive cloning as we speak, because I DESPISE booting off of HDDs in 2018 (I mean really).

So as of this posting I have not actually played any games on it yet, but have been very pleased so far with the quality and speed of this little it that could. 

Thank you Linus, and Acer. Maybe not ALL the sponsored videos are just shill crap ;)

Will update later with more impressions after steam and a few games are installed. 

20180703_182415.jpg

20180703_182411.jpg

20180703_182320.jpg

20180703_182255.jpg

What CPU / GPU did you get.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

It's the same i5/1050 Ti that was reviewed. Best buy only had the one model.

12 minutes ago, Ratburger08 said:

It's the same i5/1050 Ti that was reviewed. Best buy only had the one model.

Sweet.

Id like to see if this happens to you.

image.png.38b3d24c6d5456ce11bfdbe06e9085f0.png

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

M y  R e v i e w s 

More Coming Soon...

That model has mediocre CPU cooling. You need to undervolt it and maybe do a repaste

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

It's pretty toasty indeed. But will play GTA5, Rocket League, Skyrim, and even far cry 5 with some tweaking. And also the first thing I do when I buy new laptops is replace thermal paste and check for any performance boost. Hence why I had to throw an NVMe in it and boot it off of that instead. The HDD is... Slow. I'll look into undervolting next, thanks! 

(I'm an AMD guy by heart, so Intel being hot makes me smirk a bit)

@ZM Fong I have re-applied paste this morning and am in the process of undervolting. I'm new to undervolting intel mobile chips, is there a good place to find a value that would work better for this laptop? or should I just go in 10mv increments and test? (I'd rather the former, since the latter would take FOREVER lol)

*edit I did some googling, found some numbers and a decent tutorial, and WOW that undervolting does wonders for this laptop! That and the new paste took my average GTA temps from 80 to 65. Holy crap!

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, Ratburger08 said:

snip

Nice with the temps!

How are the Fans?

You have the i5-8300H  Chip right.

How easy was the Undervolting / Re-paste, Id like to do it to my laptop as well, but a tad bit worried ima mess something up

M Y  S T U F F

M y  R e v i e w s 

More Coming Soon...

I also just picked up a nitro 5 this past thursday. I got the best buy model that came with the 256 M.2 ssd and 1050 ti. Love it a ton, but holy crap was the factory paste garbage. Was thermal throttling while gaming to the point of dropping from 100fps to 15 fps. 

i repasted with thermal grizzly kryonaut and WOW it made a huge difference, it'll maintain full boost clock now while gaming (still a little warm at 180f) but holds a steady temp. And before during web browsing or youtube it was hitting 212f but now at max around 125f. I think it might be better off without paste than the factory junk lol 

On 7/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, K i a r a said:

Nice with the temps!

How are the Fans?

You have the i5-8300H  Chip right.

How easy was the Undervolting / Re-paste, Id like to do it to my laptop as well, but a tad bit worried ima mess something up

Re-paste is beyond simple, just remove the back cover, remove the heatsink and fans, clean off the old paste, re-apply, and put it all back together. 

Undervolting is just installing one of the programs listed above, and following a tutorial about the program on YouTube. That's what I did. 

And @cheek_b52 yes re-pasting is absolutely necessary. Otherwise it's thermal throttle city lmao

• 3 months later...

can i get the heatsink of acer nitro 5, coz i got my mother board got corrupted and i manage to get new one but i didn't find one yet. if u can plz ... or else find one for me..plz

If you need something more international, check out a website such as Alibaba or similar, or try contacting Acer

yea... ok.. can u find some more?? and can i talk to linus?? im a huge fan of linustechtip channel...

I don't have the kind of pull to get Linus in here lol, he usually hangs out in the real discussions. I am but a lowly tech reviewer :P

but here's one I found on a website that ships international. They have one with fans for 20 bucks more.

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/acer-original-part-ac148327-97364.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxvbdBRC0ARIsAKmec9aLE0ITPCcDtO1BTU79v-kcUxFy4XwPkfbFTg1HhbiIXWY3ZMNW6eQaAqVlEALw_wcB

thnk u very much... i should try some more finding one... this one has no fan in it and again i should have to find more piece... of u find then surely tell me.. im from india and here its rare ... i mean sooo rare... ok...thanks