Upgrading networkcard laptop (Asus N550LF)

Hi everyone!

Our new AIO-modem supports 5GHz wireless, but an older laptop that we still use does not. The laptop is an Asus N550LF-CN100H with a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG (PCIe Half Mini card) wireless network adapter. Apparently some laptop manufactorers have a "white lists" for network adapter than can be installed in particular models, thus hindering upgrades.  I was thinking of replacing the current card with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160. I just wonder whether it would be compatible (thus whitelisted), I can't really find other people their experiences with the laptop online so I figured I'd test my luck here. Alternatively I could purchase a USB dongle which looks like a Logitech nano receiver like this one. Since that dongle only supports 5GHz wouldn't it perfectly expand my coverage? Any other ideas or remarks?

Thanks in advance!

Have you ever opened a laptop and replaced parts on the motherboard before. It's not for amateurs.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

42 minutes ago, l-_-ll-_-l said:

Since that dongle only supports 5GHz wouldn't it perfectly expand my coverage? Any other ideas or remarks

No such thing. It's either 2.4GHz only or dual band (2.4 AND 5GHz).

19 minutes ago, userzero said:

Have you ever opened a laptop and replaced parts on the motherboard before. It's not for amateurs.

On a lot of laptops the wifi card is easily accessible. However, if it's not directly accessible through an access panel, I'd agree to steer clear from this procedure and go USB.

44 minutes ago, l-_-ll-_-l said:

Apparently some laptop manufactorers have a "white lists" for network adapter than can be installed in particular models, thus hindering upgrades.  I was thinking of replacing the current card with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160. I just wonder whether it would be compatible (thus whitelisted)

Asus typically doesn't do whitelisting. The biggest offenders are Medion, Lenovo and HP (they used to, not anymore though).

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

14 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

No such thing. It's either 2.4GHz only or dual band (2.4 AND 5GHz)

That's what I thought as well, but it's what it says on the productpage (see previous link or attached image.) I don't see why they would lie about it as it's in effect removing functionality.

Screenshot_20180619-121318.png

2 minutes ago, l-_-ll-_-l said:

That's what I thought as well, but it's what it says on the productpage (see previous link or attached image.) I don't see why they would lie about it as it's in effect removing functionality.

It clearly says Wireless-AC. AC is a dual band protocol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

20 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

It clearly says Wireless-AC. AC is a dual band protocol.

And right next to it it says "product only supports the 5GHz band." Why would they lie about that? Is it possible that a receiver can only focus on one band? If it is, perhaps they just did it to save space or something?

Screenshot_20180619-121318~3.png

3 hours ago, l-_-ll-_-l said:

And right next to it it says "product only supports the 5GHz band." Why would they lie about that? Is it possible that a receiver can only focus on one band? If it is, perhaps they just did it to save space or something?

Guess you're right :)  They only implemented the 5GHz on this for a/n/AC 5GHz.

Here's the manufacturers datasheet:

https://static.tp-link.com/Archer T1U(EU&US)_V2_Datasheet.pdf

7 minutes ago, l-_-ll-_-l said:

Otherwise I would have been perfect for an "Sh$t Manufacturers say" video for LTT :P

For sure xD