Windows lags/stutters opening certain programs

Whalee

Hello Friends,

First time posting, so i've tried to follow the rules before asking for help, however unsure exact search term to use to find the exact issue I am encountering. That being said if you are aware of a thread that I could look at please post the link :)

Onto the issue!

I have a problem, where certain programs/games are opened my system lags excessively (not a complete system lock up, but drops to the rate you can watch the mouse catch up). It's never caused the system to restart/completely lock up and once the program opens all it returns to normal with no lag.

I have found it hard to troubleshoot due the reasons below:

• It occurs on programs across multiple different drives. These being SSD, SSHD and HDD (all sata connections)
    • I have had a dead drive previously so I know that it isn't a completely dead drive.
  • I haven't had a BSOD in years, which leads me to presume there is no big hardware failure.
  • My CPU is OC'd however it occurs whether the OC is applied or not.
  • I still run games like BF1 and Rainbow Six: Siege at 1440p relatively high graphics with no failing.

One game it occurs without fail in is when I open TIS-100, this is the worst instance and takes my computer up to 8 minutes to continue out of the laggy state. (If I am watching a video the audio continues fine, just visuals are laggy)

And the typical programs I find it occur with are within old game, the 'setup' launchers they have. However these are no where near as bad and generally stop after 10-30 seconds.

Due to the age of these programs and the style of TIS-100 I think it is somewhat to do with old x86 programs, but testing on roommates machines show it running fine on their PC.

I have removed OC on CPU, reinstalled windows, have the most up to date BIOS for my system and GPU drivers.

System Specs:

MB: ASUS Maximus V Formula (BIOS version 1903)

CPU: i7 3770k 3.5GHz (OC'd to 4.5 GHz)

GPU: Sapphire NITRO Radeon R9 Fury

RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz

Drives: 110GB SSD 840, 2 250GB 850 EVO, Seagate SSHD 500GB and 10 TB of WD storage drives - (nothing run off drive)

Unfortunately I cannot provide any errors as none are displayed, and even event viewer contains no information.

Thanks for the help in advance, and sorry if I have left anything out.

<3

If you have Task Manager open when you do this, does anything go through the roof?

Like Disk or CPU goes to 100%?

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

Thanks for your reply!

Due to the 'lock up' it is hard to see real time changes in the task manager

There appears to be no real jump in use.

Your question gave me the idea to check resource monitor and all cores.

Disk usage is fine and doesn't exceed a couple % .. however while overall CPU usage is barely touched, certain cores are hitting 100%, 2 or 3 of them(8 'threads' due to hyper threading is what makes it have less impact of the overall CPU usage)

Would these cores being maxed be the cause? And if so, why do certain programs destroy them :/ It would make sense as old programs don't use cores very well, but usually that would mean core 1 being used completely, no?

I am going to try on TIS-100 and see if certain cores also get maxed.

Yup, trying TIS-100 same occurs. One core maxed for a bit.

This should help somewhat in troubleshooting, but would 1 core being maxed really cause complete system lock up :/

It shouldn't really no :/ 

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5