Naming your build?

Dedayog

Generally while I'm working on it, it has a name, once it's finished it's just a computer.  My current project I'm wrapping up is King Ghidorah, because it's based on him.  Last project was Hailfire, because it was fire and ice themed.  Before that... Sea Drive because it had fish.  But once they are done, it's just the fish tank computer, the quake con 2017 computer, my main computer, my girlfriend's computer, etc.

I've always named my vehicles and, occasionally, even some of my favorite tools (the most recent one being my cute little 4" combination square) but the only reason I named the computer I'm building right (Roisin Dearg) now was to distiguish it from others. In the past, the only time I named a computer was when I was mad at it (and it was never a nice name). Otherwise, I simply referred to the notebook I was currently using as "The Notebook" and the desktop machine as "My Desktop Machine".

My daughter had an adult, three wheel bicycle that we "affectionally" referred to as "The Bike" (always pronounced like it was a harbinger of doom), named after the continually breaking piece of junk bike featured in one of outdoor sports humorist Pat McManus' stories of his alleged childhood misadventures (if you have never read any of McManus' work, it's the kind of humour anyone can enjoy, even if you aren't into outdoor sports).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I name my computers and electronics with regular people names. More like code names since i do a lot of builds and its easier to call them by a name rather than rattle of the specs every time...

Desktop computers have typically been given Male names (Bill, Larry, Steve, George, ect...)

Mobile devices have had Female names (Sasha, Annette)

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

I usually just name the PC depending on the hardware it has inside. My Ryzen 5 1600 build inside the Fractal Design Node 202 case is called: Ryzen-202.

I'd rather have a simple name that I can recognise immediately when browsing my home network devices, than a weird fancy name that does not really mean anything.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

8 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I usually just name the PC depending on the hardware it has inside.

So what would you do when you upgrade the hardware/CPU? Rename the PC?

2 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

So what would you do when you upgrade the hardware/CPU? Rename the PC?

Well if you change the CPU it will remain Ryzen anyway, so no. 

If you change the whole platform (e.g. Ryzen to Intel) then it's kinda a new computer anyway, so yes. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

18 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Well if you change the CPU it will remain Ryzen anyway, so no. 

If you change the whole platform (e.g. Ryzen to Intel) then it's kinda a new computer anyway, so yes. 

I'm going to be the difficult one here :P

What is you change the case of your Ryzen-202 build? :P

1 hour ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I'm going to be the difficult one here :P

What is you change the case of your Ryzen-202 build? :P

I knew that was coming :P

I would likely change the name of my PC regardless because it looks different. I just associate the PC to what it is made of after all.

For example, in 1 year more or less I am thinking to switch to a NZXT H200i case, and I think my PC would probably become Ryzen-H200i :)

Unraid Server

If it's a boy pc then Fred, if it's a girl pc then Ethel. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...