How to consolidate a lot of random data into one larger NAS

Cvdasfg

I'm looking for the best hard drives for the bank, along with redundant concerns. I have 22 TB's of random hard drives between 128gb - 4tb sizes that are full, and need backed up. I've already built a freeNAS machine a couple years back which Is what I was planning on expanding. The freenas currently has two 4tb WD Red Pros inside. Any suggestions on  the best size / type of HDD's to get?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

7 minutes ago, Cvdasfg said:

I'm looking for the best hard drives for the bank, along with redundant concerns. I have 22 TB's of random hard drives between 128gb - 4tb sizes that are full, and need backed up. I've already built a freeNAS machine a couple years back which Is what I was planning on expanding. The freenas currently has two 4tb WD Red Pros inside. Any suggestions on  the best size / type of HDD's to get?

There are lots of solutions for this. I would personally use 15K RPM SAS drives, but something tells me you wouldn't get the benefits from that kind of drive since this is a NAS. I'd advise for that much data, maybe going with a SAN instead of NAS, whereas as a NAS gives you access to the files, a SANs mounts the storage array onto a PC on the network as if it was a HDD in the machine. There are a lot of ways to do what you though, is cost a concern? Is speed of a worry? Is data security and redundancy of the absolute utmost importance? 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I would personally use 15K RPM SAS drives

Why? There much slower than ssds, more power hungry, about the same cost as ssds, and no one is making new ones. There very dead.

There are lots of solutions for this. I would personally use 15K RPM SAS drives, but something tells me you wouldn't get the benefits from that kind of drive since this is a NAS. I'd advise for that much data, maybe going with a SAN instead of NAS, whereas as a NAS gives you access to the files, a SANs mounts the storage array onto a PC on the network as if it was a HDD in the machine. There are a lot of ways to do what you though, is cost a concern? Is speed of a worry? Is data security and redundancy of the absolute utmost importance? 

Redundancy is the most important to me. Speed is next. I'll be working coding / editing off of files on this so I wouldn't want it to be snail speed. Cost is a concern, but I do realize that it's going to be expensive no matter what for that much storage.

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why? There much slower than ssds, more power hungry, about the same cost as ssds, and no one is making new ones. There very dead.

I have 22 TB's of random hard drives between 128gb - 4tb sizes that are full, and need backed up.

I mean, I guess you could get 22TB of redundant SSD's, but that's kinda super duper expensive for that amount of data

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get bigger drives, normally cheaper in the long run.

id get a few of these https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401 there normally wd reds or white label versions

This looks promising. Would these be the same reds that'd you would by separately? 

I mean, I guess you could get 22TB of redundant SSD's, but that's kinda super duper expensive for that amount of data

but why 15k drives? 15k drives are about the same cost as ssds anyways so cost isn't a factor here.

Just now, Cvdasfg said:

This looks promising. Would these be the same reds that'd you would by separately? 

There normally the same as reds or white label versions with the same features.

Just now, Cvdasfg said:

Redundancy is the most important to me. Speed is next. I'll be working coding / editing off of files on this so I wouldn't want it to be snail speed. Cost is a concern, but I do realize that it's going to be expensive no matter what for that much storage.

In this case, I think a consolidated SANs would be better, they're much more adept at being mounted to a PC as a drive and worked on like that. I'd say get more pro-sumer level drives, they're more or less a better cost-GB solution, higher level RAID arrays (like RAID 60, but that'd cost a lot however would provide a lot of redundancy) will probably need a hardware RAID card, might be better, is it 22TB of data + more room to expand that you need? If that's the case you'd want at least 4TB HDDs. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but why 15k drives? 15k drives are about the same cost as ssds anyways so cost isn't a factor here.

Depends, while it doesn't happen often, you sometimes find deals on them being sold off as old new stock, since SSDs have largely taken their role. Depends on whats available when looking, but I have a soft spot for SAS just because of the higher fault tolerance. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I think a consolidated SANs would be better,

Most nas solutions like synology, freeNAS and others can use iscsi, and Im assuming OP isn't going FC.

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

they're much more adept at being mounted to a PC as a drive and worked on like that.

Id say cifs/nfs is a better solution here, you can share it amoung system easier and its a easier to understand protocol.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Most nas solutions like synology, freeNAS and others can use iscsi, and Im assuming OP isn't going FC.

Id say cifs/nfs is a better solution here, you can share it amoung system easier and its a easier to understand protocol.

Good point, however, if he can code, he might enjoy the fun of setting up a more "adaptable" system. There is probably a perfect solution somewhere here

Yours faithfully