Smaller GPU memory bits is faster gpu ?

TheDoel
Go to solution Solved by Blebekblebek,

You need to understand the context

When you say old, is how old, and what is your comparison?

Faster RAM doesn't always equate faster GPU.

altough faster ram do affect GPU performances.

Most comparison is usually AMD vs nVidia which is really not accurate at all

it's a bit hard to do comparison by todays standard GPU since most GPU are using GDDR5 and 128-bit or bigger)

The only relevant topic is the newest GT 1030 which the older version are using 64-bit GDDR5 while there are new version using DDR4 which is slower, on older model like GT 730 not only there are 2 variant of Memory, there's also different chipset (Fermi based vs kepler based)

With AMD Hardware mostly their GPU lineup using HBM will always be superior than using GDDR5, on older models obviously the one using GDDR5 will always better than using DDR3 even with same bus speed.

Hello

I was wondering why today GPU have a smaller bits rather than back then. Back then people use to say that bigger bits is better card and some people still insist that bigger bits is still the better one. 

Is there a better explanation for that ? 

Thank you and sorry for bad language :D

The size of the transistors shrunked, so chips could hold more at the same size.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

it's a bit hard to do comparison by todays standard GPU since most GPU are using GDDR5 and 128-bit or bigger)

The only relevant topic is the newest GT 1030 which the older version are using 64-bit GDDR5 while there are new version using DDR4 which is slower, on older model like GT 730 not only there are 2 variant of Memory, there's also different chipset (Fermi based vs kepler based)

With AMD Hardware mostly their GPU lineup using HBM will always be superior than using GDDR5, on older models obviously the one using GDDR5 will always better than using DDR3 even with same bus speed.

On 25/04/2018 at 1:27 PM, Blebekblebek said:

I see 

It's so weird here in my place some people still comparing bits (like GTX 550Ti vs GTX 750 Ti) 

Thank you :D 

3 minutes ago, TheDoel said:

I see 

It's so weird here in my place some people still comparing bits (like GTX 550Ti vs GTX 750 Ti) 

Thank you :D 

What do you mean by bits? You mean GB, GigaBytes?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 26/04/2018 at 7:58 PM, TheRandomness said:

What do you mean by bits? You mean GB, GigaBytes?

no, it was like Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB "128bit"

34 minutes ago, TheDoel said:

no, it was like Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB "128bit"

That's the memory bus. Whatever the GPU has built in is sufficient for the rest of it. It's just the width of the memory bus, which determines how much data can be transferred at once. On lower end graphics cards, the GPU will have a smaller memory bus, and this is usually fine for the card.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats