advanced disk partition for dual boot

Go to solution Solved by Wild Penquin,
On 22.4.2018 at 9:47 PM, Pumbaa said:

now if I click on "install now", which partition is it going to use???

I cannot have 2 / partitions, installer throws error!

You do not make all the partitions from a single istallation.

You *only* make the partitions for the distribution you want to use first (and leave space unpartitioned), and make the necessary partitions when you install the second installation. Sometimes installers allow making partitions separately and then define the mountpoints. Make sure you do not re-format /home (well, in case you haven't stored much stuff there, it shouldn't matter that much).

Bear in mind tikkers advice about sharing /home ; it might really break, for example different versions of Firefox / desktop environments / whatnot (or just slight differences in configuration) might cause all kinds of weird issues. Also UIDs and GIDs for the user(s) need to be same, if you really need to share the users home directory. OTOH it can make sense to use different user names; still easy to share files between the distributions that way!

hello, 

how should I create my partitions for 2 linux OS in dual boot?

for linux I need:

boot    ext2

swap 

linux   ext4

home ext4

for dual boot, should I create:

boot1    ext2

boot2    ext2

swap1 

swap2 

linux1   ext4

home ext4

linux2   ext4

thank you

You can share swap between the distributions. The rest looks fine. Also, /boot can be ext4 just like the rest, but it doesn't really matter.

So yeah for each install you need separate /boot and / partitions. The /home and swap can be shared. Keep in mind compatability for locally installed stuff in case of the former though if you're using two wildly different distros. Why dual linux anyway? Dual boot is usually to have different OSes. For trying them out you can just live boot.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

hello @tikker,

thanks for the reply, 

I am using the same distro. The 2nd is for redundancy in case anything breaks. 

So now I have: 

ext2    /boot     primary

ext4    /            logical

swap               logical

ext4    /home   logical

ext4   /             logical

13 minutes ago, Pumbaa said:

hello @tikker,

thanks for the reply, 

I am using the same distro. The 2nd is for redundancy in case anything breaks. 

So now I have: 

ext4    /            logical

swap               logical

ext4    /home   logical

ext4   /             logical

You'll need to do some more detailed partitioning: https://medium.com/@manujarvinen/setting-up-a-multi-boot-of-5-linux-distributions-ca1fcf8d502

I recommend against it thought. See my other post. It's unnecessarily complicated.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 22.4.2018 at 9:47 PM, Pumbaa said:

You do not make all the partitions from a single istallation.

You *only* make the partitions for the distribution you want to use first (and leave space unpartitioned), and make the necessary partitions when you install the second installation. Sometimes installers allow making partitions separately and then define the mountpoints. Make sure you do not re-format /home (well, in case you haven't stored much stuff there, it shouldn't matter that much).

Bear in mind tikkers advice about sharing /home ; it might really break, for example different versions of Firefox / desktop environments / whatnot (or just slight differences in configuration) might cause all kinds of weird issues. Also UIDs and GIDs for the user(s) need to be same, if you really need to share the users home directory. OTOH it can make sense to use different user names; still easy to share files between the distributions that way!