External SSD ànd others drop in speed after a few seconds or disconnect?

Melodist

Hello there,

Why does my external SSD drop in speed after a few seconds? At some point, it is even worse, it just disconnects and after reconnecting asks me to scan the drive with no errors being found. Actually, this happens with other drives too. What is wrong with my PC?

Intel 6900k on Asus X99 Deluxe II btw.

ssd copying speed drop.jpg

I wouldn't have said anything if it dropped to let's say 120 or 100 but 41 ?!?! Makes me want to go back to Apple, no kidding.

Crystal Disk also tests fine, but why does this speed drop and sometimes entire drop out of the storage happen?

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Are you transferring a mix of small and large files?

Only large files, I also get the following error: Error 0x8007045D.

4 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Only large files, I also get the following error: Error 0x8007045D.

So the error is an I/O device error. One source claims it's the disk is bad, but you say every disk has this issue so it's likely the USB controller is flaky. If every USB port is flaky, then I would see about updating the drivers if there are any to update.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So the error is an I/O device error. One source claims it's the disk is bad, but you say every disk has this issue so it's likely the USB controller is flaky. If every USB port is flaky, then I would see about updating the drivers if there are any to update.

It is on every USB-Port, drivers are up to date.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

In lieu of that, have you tried what's described in this video?

If you're using Windows 10, you can get into safe mode by doing one of the following in this link: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Could it be the amazon enclosure? My western digital works fine, but is powered.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd suspect that if you were using multiple drives on the same enclosure.

Ah no, i mean, simply WD My Book powered external. My SSD is powered using an amazon enclosure. Maybe the enclosure is bad?

2 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Ah no, i mean, simply WD My Book powered external. My SSD is powered using an amazon enclosure. Maybe the enclosure is bad?

When you said this:

Actually, this happens with other drives too.

Did you mean any drive to the SSD, or any external drive period?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

When you said this:

Did you mean any drive to the SSD, or any external drive period?

Any unpowered external drive i think.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:05 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

If the WD My Book has no problem, then that seems to point to purely USB powered drives having trouble being the problem. But that also means the USB ports are defective somehow.

So, I switched the enclosure of  my SSD, still the same problem, it starts at 300 mb/s for a few seconds and then drops down to 30 mb/s, what the hell is this, is the ssd faulty? During crystal disk, the speeds are fine (benchmark) but copying large files in the real world drops down after 5 seconds and sometimes disconnects.

3 hours ago, Melodist said:

So, I switched the enclosure of  my SSD, still the same problem, it starts at 300 mb/s for a few seconds and then drops down to 30 mb/s, what the hell is this, is the ssd faulty? During crystal disk, the speeds are fine (benchmark) but copying large files in the real world drops down after 5 seconds and sometimes disconnects.

Install the SSD inside the system directly and see if it's still a problem.

I mean, has nobody ever encountered this problem?  Am I the sole exception?

copy speed.jpg

Just now, Pangea2017 said:

What is the ssd model?

Kingston, the cheapest, but I noticed it happens with my internal drives as well, just less severe.

Yeah, same thing happens, steady first few seconds and then drops down in a wave.

same thing.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

The 218 just looks like the drive is the limit. For cheap drives this is normal. 50 mb/s might be something between the enclosure and os.

This is my 950 Pro copying. All my internal drives behave that way, I have about 7 installed. They start at the expected speed and drop off after a while and do a small wave up and down.

Is it because I didn't leave free, non-formated space for my ssd? When I created the partitions, I always used all the space. It looks like a cache runs out and then it drops? Or does it defragment in the background while copying?

On 4/18/2018 at 2:58 PM, Melodist said:

Absolutely could be the case. I have a USB-C ORICO mSATA enclosure that does exactly what you describe in the first post. It will connect, allow me to transfer some files, and then disconnect / reconnect when it overheats. It seems ORICO doesn't know how to properly regulate the transistors in the conversion board inside the enclosure, so when it gets too hot it shuts down to protect itself. I was able to get a full refund from Amazon though, so now I have a free emergency mSATA reader for when I need to recover data.

I'd definitely check the enclosure for overheating or try another enclosure to eliminate it being the problem.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

9 hours ago, kirashi said:

Absolutely could be the case. I have a USB-C ORICO mSATA enclosure that does exactly what you describe in the first post. It will connect, allow me to transfer some files, and then disconnect / reconnect when it overheats. It seems ORICO doesn't know how to properly regulate the transistors in the conversion board inside the enclosure, so when it gets too hot it shuts down to protect itself. I was able to get a full refund from Amazon though, so now I have a free emergency mSATA reader for when I need to recover data.

I'd definitely check the enclosure for overheating or try another enclosure to eliminate it being the problem.

The issue actually occurs with all my drives, also internal, but the question is, whether anybody would ever notice this given that the average consumer doesn't copy big files.

11 hours ago, Melodist said:

The issue actually occurs with all my drives, also internal, but the question is, whether anybody would ever notice this given that the average consumer doesn't copy big files.

Hmmm in that case, you 100% have a USB chipset / port or motherboard problem, or have drivers that need updating. It's way too much of a coincidence that multiple drives all fail at one time. Another good way to test this is by using the same drives on another computer and seeing how they perform.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Hmmm in that case, you 100% have a USB chipset / port or motherboard problem, or have drivers that need updating. It's way too much of a coincidence that multiple drives all fail at one time. Another good way to test this is by using the same drives on another computer and seeing how they perform.

Have you ever tried copying more than 4 GB and checked how well it buffers?