NZXT Kraken X72 running hot

Hi guys, I bought a custom prebuilt PC (because I didn’t have the guts to do it myself) and ended up with a very nice system. It has an I7-8700K cooled by the new NZXT Kraken X72 which should be more than sufficient for the processor (overclocked to 4.7GHz). When I started aida64 to check the temps I got in the first 3 minutes spikes of 95°C. I was expecting way lower temps than that, do you guys know where should I start trying fix the problem? Also I payed 10 dollars extra for a good thermal paste to be applied. Thank you all. When I get back home I can post some screenshots.

What motherboard do you have and are you using the default settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You are likely to see an initial spike on any cpu with virtually any cooler what is important is what happens after that, screenshots would be helpful here to see how your cpu tracks after 15 -20 mins. however if things dont look to good you always have the manufacturer to fall back on as you have a pre built machins , send us some screenshots and at least youcan get a second, third/ thosandth opinion on what might be happening :) best of luck

My rig: 5820k 48Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws, m.2 pcie samsgung 256Gb boot, rampage v extreme x99, 2x asus 980 strix  14.5 Tb other ssds and hdds. Laptop: Lenovo Y510P. Peripherals: G13 /RAT 7 /Corsair K70 RGB/ FLY 5 

16 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard do you have and are you using the default settings?

It’s an ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero, and what do you mean for default settings? (I’m kinda new in this PC stuff, sorry)

9 minutes ago, GUGAP3000 said:

It’s an ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero, and what do you mean for default settings? (I’m kinda new in this PC stuff, sorry)

There are settings in the bios. 

By default, Asus Multi-core Enhancement is turned on which is effectively an auto oc that uses more voltage than necessary which is probably the cause of your high temps. 

Turn the setting off. Set your oc and voltage manually.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are settings in the bios. 

By default, Asus Multi-core Enhancement is turned on which is effectively an auto oc that uses more voltage than necessary which is probably the cause of your high temps. 

Turn the setting off. Set your oc and voltage manually.

Ok, I will try that when I get back home

Hey guys, after messing around with it I got it pretty stable at 5GHz. The temps are still kinda high (in both closed and open side panel test) but I guess I will need to delid to get those down. Thanks for the help, below are the screenshots of the test with the side panel open and closed.Closed.thumb.png.577dc965283ba37061de50b69762b529.pngOpen.thumb.png.b2f231cb9dc6f473fa2cce11bd310959.png

Just want to use this Thread for a quick question:

I bought a delidded 8700k from a youtuber (cheaper than buying one myself and delidding it) and was wondering: Is there a big difference between the kraken x72 (360 aio) and the x62 (280mm)? Because there is some sort of price difference :)

1 hour ago, Plank said:

Just want to use this Thread for a quick question:

I bought a delidded 8700k from a youtuber (cheaper than buying one myself and delidding it) and was wondering: Is there a big difference between the kraken x72 (360 aio) and the x62 (280mm)? Because there is some sort of price difference :)

Big difference? No. But the X72 should run a few degrees (we’re talking 1-5 degrees celcius) on average better temps when compared to the X62 or X52. Up to you if you think it’s worth selling to save some money.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |