case fan is a bit loud...

CaptainChaos025

Hello,

so i have a CPU watercooler from Cooler Master and 2 other PC fans inside my Cooler Master Masterbox 5. however, i found the top front fan to be a little "too loud". is there any reason to this and how could i fix it? (what you're hearing in the audio is the fan spinning up, but when you hear it stop it's just me when i put my finger on the fan to stop it so you can hear the sound difference)

Spraak_005[1].m4a

6 hours ago, CaptainChaos025 said:

Hello,

so i have a CPU watercooler from Cooler Master and 2 other PC fans inside my Cooler Master Masterbox 5. however, i found the top front fan to be a little "too loud". is there any reason to this and how could i fix it? (what you're hearing in the audio is the fan spinning up, but when you hear it stop it's just me when i put my finger on the fan to stop it so you can hear the sound difference)

Spraak_005[1].m4a

Yeah, they can be noisy... I recommend some corsair ML120/140 fans.. they are cheap-ish but very efficient and quiet.

UK  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CO-9050044-WW-Pressure-Magnetic-Levitation/dp/B01G5I6RK2/

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Would agree with @paddy-stone on the ML series of fans. I have 6 total in my case, 3 140mm and 3 120mm with 2 of each on a radiator and they are whisper quiet and move enough air to keep everything whisper silent in my full custom loop. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Would agree with @paddy-stone on the ML series of fans. I have 6 total in my case, 3 140mm and 3 120mm with 2 of each on a radiator and they are whisper quiet and move enough air to keep everything whisper silent in my full custom loop. 

Yeah, I replaced the CM fans on my 2x CM masterliquid 240 lites with them... they are whisper quiet and cool very well, my 1700 CPU at full load only hits around 50C ATM (winter), so expect it to hit around 60C in summer.... AND I only have it on low setting, like 40% IIRC..ramps to about 50% on full load. The 200mm fan drawing in fresh air helps a LOT though... only have that on around 30%, but it still pulls a fair amount of air :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Have you tried to control it? In good airflow case its not needed to have all fans at 100% all of the time. It doesn't sound to be broken. So you should try controlling it first and then look for new fans if you still feel like it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Have you tried to control it? In good airflow case its not needed to have all fans at 100% all of the time. It doesn't sound to be broken. So you should try controlling it first and then look for new fans if you still feel like it.

is there softwere for this and which woukd you recommend?

3 hours ago, CaptainChaos025 said:

is there softwere for this and which woukd you recommend?

Which mobo you have? Most mobos have their own software which is at least semi-capable. If you happen to be lucky, Speedfan works too (it doesn't on all of the newest boards). You can control all fans that are connected to mobo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, CaptainChaos025 said:

what is mobo?

Motherboard.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Motherboard.

oh. i;ve got a Gigabyte GA P55-USB3L

Just now, CaptainChaos025 said:

Ok, that would be nope on Gigabytes own software, but Speedfan will work. It can be bit intimidating and seem hard to use. But there are several good tutorials on setting it up. I have 2 CPU PWM fans and 3 3pin case fans on bit newer Gigabyte board controlled with it.

Here's Jayz2Cents guide:

Here's my sort of dirty version from few years back:

I don't remember if its mentioned in Jayz video, but one important thing is to set Waning temp from Temperatures tab to where you want fan to go full blast. As mine are capped at 80%, I've set it to 90C (my CPU won't see that temp even under full stress load...)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, CaptainChaos025 said:

The fan settings should be under the PC Heatlh Status section in the bios. If you have a 3pin fan, plug it into a sys_fan header. If 4pin, use cpu_fan.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.