Gaming monitor in budget

Arnold Runda

I want a 144Hz 1ms 1440p with g-sync gaming monitor, is there any affordable one like around 500$?

The monitor listed does fit your budget but it's a shitty TN panel. If you're going to spend that much, at least get an IPS/VA panel. G-sync really isn't an issue and isn't worth paying that much for. You can pick up a 4k monitor for half the price.

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

The monitor listed does fit your budget but it's a shitty TN panel. If you're going to spend that much, at least get an IPS/VA panel. G-sync really isn't an issue and isn't worth paying that much for. You can pick up a 4k monitor for half the price.

Yep. But that fit their request. 

11 hours ago, kerradeph said:

Yep. But that fit their request. 

Absolutely it does. I didn't say it didn't. It's not good value though. Nobody should be putting up with a TN panel nowadays, especially paying so much for one when better, cheaper VA/IPS panels are around.

1440P 165hz IPS panels : BLB / Glow issues

144hz and fake "1ms" response times : Terrible viewing angles and terrible colours

VA panels : brighter colours and bad viewing angles. 

Just buy overclockable 75hz IPS monitor,

1920x1080p, 23,8", IPS : iiyama XUB2492HSU-B1

2160x1440p, 27", IPS :  iiyama B2791QSU-B1

And wait for OLED monitors 2019-2020+ years

18 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Absolutely it does. I didn't say it didn't. It's not good value though. Nobody should be putting up with a TN panel nowadays, especially paying so much for one when better, cheaper VA/IPS panels are around.

I think this will be a nice as it does fulfill my needs. Opting for a ips panel will be expensive I think and I need for gaming so it won’t be much of a issue.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:42 AM, kerradeph said:

Thanks @kerradeph it fits perfectly in my budget and has all the key features.

1 hour ago, Arnold Runda said:

I think this will be a nice as it does fulfill my needs. Opting for a ips panel will be expensive I think and I need for gaming so it won’t be much of a issue.

Thanks @kerradeph it fits perfectly in my budget and has all the key features.

In fact an IPS panel, without G-sync, which isn't needed anyway, would be much less than this and great for gaming and everything else, unlike a 1080p TN panel. For half of this price you can get a 27", IPS 4K monitor. This is not a good deal.

19 hours ago, Guanzo said:

1440P 165hz IPS panels : BLB / Glow issues

144hz and fake "1ms" response times : Terrible viewing angles and terrible colours

VA panels : brighter colours and bad viewing angles. 

Just buy overclockable 75hz IPS monitor,

1920x1080p, 23,8", IPS : iiyama XUB2492HSU-B1

2160x1440p, 27", IPS :  iiyama B2791QSU-B1

And wait for OLED monitors 2019-2020+ years

To correct this, since it's factually incorrect - IPS/VA panels have much better viewing angles than TN and response times with them haven't been an issue for some years now. Also, backlight bleed is an issue regardless of whether TN or IPS for some. Many panels are just fine. Those that aren't should be RMA'd anyway if the problem is acute, which it now more rarely is (though not rarely enough admittedly). As for 165Hz IPS panels, there is no such standard for IPS panels, apart from panels like the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q, which are basically a scam for what they offer. 165Hz is not an industry standard.

I do agree about getting an overclockable IPS panel. The problem is that the Samsung overclockable panels that go up to around 120Hz and that I and others used to buy regularly for $200 or so, and which were pretty much only known about by professional system builders and enthusiasts, were kind of ruined when Linus did a video letting the whole world know about them and they went up in price due to low availability. So those of us who custom build PCs for others, or for work in some other capacity, are now having to source panels that are a little more expensive (but still much cheaper than crappy TN panels sold by the big name brands as 'gaming' monitors thankfully). But yes, the overclockable panels with Freesync thrown in that go up to 144 Hz or so, are still great value compared to being ripped off for $500 or more for an old fashioned TN panel.

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

In fact an IPS panel, without G-sync, which isn't needed anyway, would be much less than this and great for gaming and everything else, unlike a 1080p TN panel. For half of this price you can get a 27", IPS 4K monitor. This is not a good deal.

Is gsync really needed because I’m a Nvidia fan and this is my first setup so I’m a bit nervous to get the most out of it in the budget.

7 hours ago, Arnold Runda said:

Is gsync really needed because I’m a Nvidia fan and this is my first setup so I’m a bit nervous to get the most out of it in the budget.

It isn't needed at all. Tearing, with a decent GPU, CPU and monitor isn't much of an issue nowadays. You can pick up a 27" 144 Hz, IPS monitor for about $350, paying another $200 or so for G Sync is unnecessary.