1080p monitor for GTX1070 non TN 400-500€

Hi,

I've been looking a lot for a good monitor to bring the most out of my GTX 1070 OC 8Gb,
(TL;DR: 1080p gaming monitor around 4/500€, not TN with >60Hz refresh rate")

Spoiler
many forums brags how it can handle 1440p at +60Hz without sweat, but from personal experience the numbers from the reviews (done on i7-X, Extreme Mobo and M2 drives) aren't that close to when you play the game.

this brings me to the idea that a 1080p monitor might be a good bet for the long run since I will be able to play newer titles at 60+fps without problems (I had a 7970 that could run the latest WW2 COD and similar game on a 1024 display. if I had a 1080p display I would have needed to change the GPU sooner)

but the problem is that it's hard to find a VA/IPS panel that is less than 30/27" (I sit too close at the desk for a 25+ display, also the 1080p wouldn't give him justice anyway)

But what about Latency?? well, I've played on my monitor (https://www.cnet.com/products/nec-multisync-lcd1880sx-lcd-monitor-18-1-series/specs/) that's probably more than 10ms of lag since it came out in 2002 and I never had problems linked to the screen latency for games like COD/PUBG/Fortnite, it's usually more of a network lag problem.

BUT, Frequency is an issue, Once you're used to 75Hz you can't get back on 60Hz, it feels.. odd.  but since they don't seem to make 75hz anymore and they skip to 120/144hz I have to rule out IPS panels (I've only seen 1 75hz IPS monitor on newegg)

I was watching some G-Sync monitors as well, but they are cost-effective only past 700€ as they offer 27" 1440p models, and I'm not sure about the build quality since they look more like a "gaming" accessory to overpriced pre-built system (Acer Predator anyone?) but I might be in the wrong here.

my budget is pretty flexible, I was hoping to find something around the 400€ (I want to save some money to buy another extra monitor but I'll probably end up using my extra 2 monitors on the side anyway) so I'm willing to go upper if it will keep it's performance over the time (15years and not a single issue with my older monitors aside from a bit of bleeding on the secondary one, sorry if I have such high standards for durability :( )

Why the wall of text? why not just saying "1080p gaming monitor around 4/500€ possibly not TN with high refresh rate"?
Because I've always come down to copy-pasted replies and wanted a more personal approach to the issue, (also hoping people with similar situations will find this useful as I often find myself more helped by threads that had similar problems than simply looking the generic question "Best 1080p gaming monitor of 2017"

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

What screen size are you looking for? I've got a Dell SE2717HR that I really like.

It features a 27" 1080p IPS panel with FreeSync support, refresh rate support up to 75Hz with FreeSync enabled. 6ms response time, although that hasn't been a problem for me. Another thing to note is that when I sit at my desk, the monitor is just over arm's length away for me, which could fix your problem of sitting too close for a 25+ inch display.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What screen size are you looking for? I've got a Dell SE2717HR that I really like.

It features a 27" 1080p IPS panel with FreeSync support, refresh rate support up to 75Hz with FreeSync enabled. 6ms response time, although that hasn't been a problem for me. Another thing to note is that when I sit at my desk, the monitor is just over arm's length away for me, which could fix your problem of sitting too close for a 25+ inch display.

OP is running on a GTX so freesync won't help

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

OP is running on a GTX so freesync won't help

I run a GTX 780 with this monitor, enabling FreeSync for the extra 15Hz hasn't ever been a problem.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Right, Ok you just enable freesync to get extra Hz, Cool.  Didn't know you could do this

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 hour ago, Trentonxx said:
Hi,

I've been looking a lot for a good monitor to bring the most out of my GTX 1070 OC 8Gb,
(TL;DR: 1080p gaming monitor around 4/500€, not TN with >60Hz refresh rate")

I run my 1070 on a 1080p Monitor, it will do 1440p (tested myself through DSR) but not with any decent settings AND AA enabled.  So i think you're right sticking with 1080p  I'd also personally say 27" is as big as you'd want to go.  Like @Crunchy Dragon i sit about an arms length away from my monitor at a desk and don't see any dip in desktop clarity.  I can't recommend mine as it has a TN panel.  But i'm sure an Amazon search will give you a short list and some youtube vids will help you make up your mind.

Edited by YouSirAreADudeSir
Put answer in quote box by mistake

My first post here, but anyways. No you don't need to enable freesync to get that extra hertz, just put your screen to 75Hz (like I have) in your resolution settings in Windows and you are fine.

Freesync doesn't work with Nvidia (yet) so it really doesn't matter if you enable it or not, or am I wrong?

Anyways, back to the OP.

For that money Freesync is the only thing, you have to add a couple hundred more to get to the "good stuff".

There isn't much to go on with those specs, check for VA-panels maybe?

If you want IPS and 144Hz I'm pretty sure you need to go up to around 700-900 euros to get the g-sync monitors.

But if you can handle to get only 75Hz, then I would go for example the Ultrawide monitors at 2560x1080.

I bought an LG 29" Ultrawide 2560x1080 with IPS-panel, 75Hz and 5ms just a month ago. I love it, I'm never going back to 16:9! :P

Here are LGs ultrawide monitors, I guess other brands have the same line:

http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors

Guys sorry for the late reply but I'm having a very busy week

On 3/21/2018 at 6:02 PM, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

an Amazon search will give you a short list and some youtube vids will help you make up your mind.

Sadly Amazon is a mess, many monitors don't have the features listed, others are clearly wrong (ie: name and description doesn't match the inputs) etc.. so I'm using Newegg or other better filter-optimized websites to check what they come up with and then hope I can find it in Italy lol

16 hours ago, knorren said:

VA-panels maybe?

Yep! I mean, how bad can they look? I only do Amateur level rendering on Blender anyway, I don't need the full Adobe colour spectrum I guess.

If you want IPS and 144Hz

I'm fine with even just 75 or 100 but I think most just skip to 120Hz

But if you can handle to get only 75Hz, then I would go for example the Ultrawide monitors at 2560x1080.

I bought an LG 29" Ultrawide 2560x1080 with IPS-panel, 75Hz and 5ms just a month ago. I love it, I'm never going back to 16:9! :P

uhm.. I have to check the measurement to see if I can fit that beast + the extra screen on my desk lol, I'll look it up if it's High refresh.

stupid question, let's say the game looks crap on 21:0 (bad porting, shitty HUD scaling or just too much demanding for the GPU *coff*SC*coff*.. can I run it in 16:9 in the middle or I'm stuck in the "split" option where they turn into 2 different screens but on the side? :(

also do you notice any "tearing" mismatch along the central split line?? like if they don't properly sync the frames??

Thanks for the replies guys :)

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

All games today support 21:9, even games at least 10 years back do. I tried Halflife 2 just for the fun of it and it works, but that's probably updated cause CS:GO uses the same engine.

It's become so normal today that gamers buy ultrawide so I don't see why you should have a problem with it.

I have only heard rumors that Blizzard is blocking the resolution in their RPG's cause it give you advantages over people who doesn't have it, since you get bigger FoV.

Why you even would think of running a 21:9 monitor at 16:9 I can't really understand, unless you are playing some really really really old games.

Most ultrawide monitors have the option in the menu to run in different modes, so if you really want to run in 16:9 it's not a problem, you will get more black on the sides.

No tearing, no IPS bleed, everything is just perfect...or I'm just lucky. ;)

A GTX1070 should have no problem at all with 2560x1080, if you get lag with that card you have done something wrong.

I'm running it with a really old i5 2500K and a GTX970. :ph34r:

29" Ultrawide has about the same height as a 24" 16:9

34-36" Ultrawide compares to a 27-28" 16:9.