Air Coolers compatible with Liquid Metal TIM?

Hi,

Interesting recent video about using Liquid Metal TIM. This lead me to to thinking about testing this for myself on my ancient Haswell based PC which has a stock Intel cooler which is working fine to be honest eve with a modest overclock on my ancient Core i5 CPU.

Which Socket 1150 air coolers would be compatible? Something with a copper core I'm thinking so what would be the LTT recommendations for a reasonably priced air cooler? :-)

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa

--

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses so far! :-)

Other than the Noctua are there any other recommendations for copper based air coolers which work well?

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa

Some of the better stock coolers for the Intel chips are copper based or do a copper core. I have this one sitting on a shelf that I used for some time before I went to water cooled.

newfan.jpg

There are a bunch of them with copper bases for cheap and they work just fine, even for overclocking if you get use the ones for the better chips that are big and or heatpipe in construction.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Intel+I7+Stock+Cooler&FORM=IDINTS

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287

Are you delidding the CPU to replace the TIM between the die and the cover with liquid metal? If not, I don't think there is a point for using Liquid Metal between the CPU and the cooler.

On 2/25/2018 at 6:04 AM, SimonZerafa said:

Hi,

Interesting recent video about using Liquid Metal TIM. This lead me to to thinking about testing this for myself on my ancient Haswell based PC which has a stock Intel cooler which is working fine to be honest eve with a modest overclock on my ancient Core i5 CPU.

Which Socket 1150 air coolers would be compatible? Something with a copper core I'm thinking so what would be the LTT recommendations for a reasonably priced air cooler? :-)

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa

--

To be honest with you... there is very little reason to use liquid metal between the IHS and Block(heatsink).

The gains are very small in this situation and even though LM does not eat copper like it does aluminum.. it does still have a interaction that can cause the LM to dry up. I have seen this first hand and it has also been reported on many enthusiast sites. So if you are ok with replacing the 6-12 months then go for it... if not just pick up a high quality traditional TIM and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKJ21LW/?tag=pcpapi-20 This is one of the very best value coolers you can buy. It has nickelplated copper, so it will be compatible with liquid metal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.