Slow Performance On Windows 10

Jasun

When I say slow, it isn't as slow as some computers but it's slow to the point that the Windows Search Bar comes up after ~4 seconds of clicking it. I'm currently running w/ an i5-2400. Just wondering if that CPU is good enough for Win 10. Also, I've seen that an SSD will speed things up tremendously but I'm holding off on that idea until I figure out the actual issue. I have speculated that my HDDs are the issue due to one being used for a really long time (over 7 years; WD 500GB 7200RPM) and my other one is basically the same one but much newer. Does this affect the speed of windows, because I'm really tried of waiting... Any personal experiences would be appreciated! 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

That cpu is fine, one of my laptops at work has one and paired with 16gb of a

Ram / SSD you've got a nice little machine. If you want to get some true performance throw debian on their and just run what you can on Linux and have a vm for others.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

That cpu is fine, one of my laptops at work has one and paired with 16gb of a

Ram / SSD you've got a nice little machine. If you want to get some true performance throw debian on their and just run what you can on Linux and have a vm for others.

Another minor question, is it possible to run Win 10 w/ my CPU and on a HDD without significant slowdowns? 

Your cpu is most likely fine, you should buy an ssd (they're way faster than HDDs) and your applications will load up really fast.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

Your cpu is most likely fine, you should buy an ssd (they're way faster than HDDs) and your applications will load up really fast.

Have you heard of any system (w/ i5-2400) that runs without any significant slowdowns w/ a HDD?

You seem like you really want to keep that i5-2400! you will be glad to hear that it's perfectly capable of running windows 10 without any sort of lag or even micro stutter. The problem here is that spinning bucket of rust that we call HDDs, the delay you are seeing is completely caused by it. They have been the culprit for bottlenecks for a while. It will not improve your CPU's performance but it will basically remove the UI lag your talking about eg: (lag when opening menus, launching applications). An SSD will bring a major improvement in latency allowing the operating system to fetch files really quickly which is what you want as thats what your OS does all the time, the HDD is unable to respond quickly to your CPU and thus you see it "lagging" in the UI. So basically my point is even if you have an 8700k it would still "lag" if you use an HDD as the main OS drive.

Even a budget friendly SSD would solve your problem.