POE lighting

Katreyo

I have recently looked into this system of lighting. I am quite curious on how popular it might be and also what your guys opinion of it. I am quite curious if it will call under IT work or remain as electricians work if it s future related. Lol. The reason I am wonderingabout it is because I am a level 2 electrician apprenticeship.

4 minutes ago, Katreyo said:

I have recently looked into this system of lighting. I am quite curious on how popular it might be and also what your guys opinion of it. I am quite curious if it will call under IT work or remain as electricians work if it s future related. Lol. The reason I am wonderingabout it is because I am a level 2 electrician apprenticeship.

Welcome to the Forums!

Hmm never knew about POE lighting, I assume some lights themselves are completely power over ethernet and require no external power source to them. Sounds very useful in certain applications or even just control lights that use AC power. 

Well, with these new LED lights. They require dc voltage up to 46v dc. So powering them up with a networking switch combines powering them and also controlling them over programming. Thus not really needing an electrician over all. Here is a link to kinda show the idea.

Not very popular.

PoE is mostly used for phones and wireless access points, at least that's what I've worked with/sold.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 minute ago, Katreyo said:

Well, with these new LED lights. They require dc voltage up to 46v dc. So powering them up with a networking switch combines powering them and also controlling them over programming. Thus not really needing an electrician over all. Here is a link to kinda show the idea.

Hmm that can be useful in large setups, only thing is with the POE injectors you would be limited on how powerful the lights could be installed. 

The more i think about this idea, the bigger spectrum I think it may possible be. Is this just not quite there Yet? Or am I thinking it all in my head? Because my thoughts on the programming side is crazy. When you lose power, it gets powered from the UPS and have selected lights for emergency situations.  It has been installed in a few skyscrapers already, not fully but a full level at least. I have read that Cisco is helping out with this idea.

The video from Genisys is pretty slick, both their implementation and their control software. But its really just an application of active POE with LED lighting. I’d love to see what other competitor solutions there are. For a few years I’ve thought about using POE for lighting and other low wattage always on items. For refence, 802.3af POE can provide up to 15W per port and 802.3at POE+ can provide 25.5W. A common 60W replacement LED bulb can use 4-7W. I’m sure the office ceiling tube replacement units might push close to 25.5W just because normally those fixtures produce a lot of light, but with a fully integrated system like they are showing, I’m sure they have designed those right up to the limit.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Ubiquiti is actually making PoE lights and wall switches on the beta store. It's their new "Enterprise of things" lineup. Personally I'd be more interested in PoE wall switches that can control regular 120V stuff. I just feel...weird having Ethernet cable power lights as efficient as LEDs are now. I just find 120V fixtures to be more universal in case of switching fixtures down the road.

8 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Ubiquiti is actually making PoE lights and wall switches on the beta store. It's their new "Enterprise of things" lineup. Personally I'd be more interested in PoE wall switches that can control regular 120V stuff. I just feel...weird having Ethernet cable power lights as efficient as LEDs are now. I just find 120V fixtures to be more universal in case of switching fixtures down the road.

This is very interesting, and I know you said BETA store but I was initially confused because I could only find the old and basically abandoned mFi line. This is also an option to keep an eye on. I don’t like the specs (specifically temperature and CRI) of their first gen LED panel though.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I have looked into this years ago. With LED technology I can see this becoming a thing.

Plus with essentially every light having a different ID the home automation situation could be endless.

Still it is early in the stage and I have yet to see it out in the public, but it is coming.

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

This is very interesting, and I know you said BETA store but I was initially confused because I could only find the old and basically abandoned mFi line. This is also an option to keep an eye on. I don’t like the specs (specifically temperature and CRI) of their first gen LED panel though.

Ah, yeah, Ubiquiti killed off the MiFi line. This is sort of the new replacement for it. It's pretty neat though, do check it out. I like the PoE dimming switch idea though. I also wish it was a 2' x 4' panel / brighter / adjustable color temp (Doesn't have to be complete RGB).