Netgear Nighthawk A7000 Unable to Find 5Ghz and Wrong Region

madbikes

I recently replaced my TP-Link Archer T4UHP with the Netgear Nighthawk A7000. The Archer seem to have a bad driver where I had to restart at least once immediately after I start the computer to get it to connect to Wi-Fi or it can drop connection at random times. So I replaced it with the Netgear A7000, but it's not finding the 5Ghz antenna and the device region is set wrong. Is there something else I can try before I buy a 3rd Wi-Fi adapter (software on both router and adapter are up-to-date)? None of the devices I use has connectivity issues.

where did you buy it from, normally these things come with the region of the location they were manufactured, sounds to me like you bought the wrong one for the region you are in ? 

i could be wrong though, 

I bought it from Best Buy, but it's set to Asia for some reason.

16 hours ago, madbikes said:

I recently replaced my TP-Link Archer T4UHP with the Netgear Nighthawk A7000. The Archer seem to have a bad driver where I had to restart at least once immediately after I start the computer to get it to connect to Wi-Fi or it can drop connection at random times. So I replaced it with the Netgear A7000, but it's not finding the 5Ghz antenna and the device region is set wrong. Is there something else I can try before I buy a 3rd Wi-Fi adapter (software on both router and adapter are up-to-date)? None of the devices I use has connectivity issues.

If you go in to device managers and dig in to the properties of the device, you should find out how to change the region. That might help you with the 5 Ghz issue, if not, then Im not 100% sure. Are you sure you get a good 5Ghz signal where the device is located?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 years later...

In case anybody still has still issue, here is the solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtCGyTxXzU4

Basically the issue is with the NetGear crapware that is installed (no idea why we are being forced such a bad piece of software):

- Find the NetGear folder in Program Files (x86)

- Copy the Driver folder anywhere else (desktop is fine)

- Go to Device Manager, right-click on your A7000 adapter, click Uninstall - Make sure to check "Delete the Driver Software"

- No need to restart, just ignore if prompted

- Go back to the Device Manager and find your A7000 adapter. It should now appear as an unidentified device (if its not, repeat uninstall step above)

- Right-Click on it and select Update Driver and select Browse My Computer for Driver Software

- Navigate to the Driver folder you copied in the second step and just click continue.

Problem should go away!

• 1 year later...

Hi @Entaum thank you for that tip and video showing how to fix it. Any chance you know what to do for a Mac?