Amp for sennheiser hd 650

EbayPolice
1 minute ago, seduce_me said:

No, the amp matters as much as the source, maybe even more. 

If needed, yes. And an Amp can colour the sound - which can sound aesthetically pleasing.

But if the playback device is "loud enough" already, then an Amp is an optional upgrade - a "nice to have", not a "must have".

And, I would definitely disagree that the Amp matters more than the source.

If you're using 128 Kbps MP3's with a HD 650, it won't sound as good as the same music in CD ripped FLAC, even if there's an Amp.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, BryceJonathan said:

First suggestion I have is look at massdrop and see if you can get the senheiser hd6xx as they are $200(so a lot cheaper) they are the same headphones except have different paint on the headband and come in a different box so are much more worth it. When I bought my amp I went with a schiit fulla 2 as it is small good quality and personally I dont think the amp makes a huge difference until you are using like $1000 tube amps. Your onboard audio will drive it just with the 300 ohm impedance it might not get loud enough if you listen to loud music also it may begin to distort the audio when you are blasting loud.

Really? I can certainly hear a noticeable difference between my NuForce uDAC 3 vs my Fostex HPA4......you really can't cite a 1k USD tube amp for such an example. Also, do bear in mind that peeps' sound preference can be so varied, some might actually prefer the colored sound of a cheaper amp vs the colored sound of a 1k USD tube amp.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

You could argue the same for the source. 
DAC just reconstructs the analog waveform needed to hear the music. Meanwhile, clean undistorted amplification is absolutely necessary for clean audio. Then, the DAC is just a "nice to have", not a "must have".

You're oversimplifying how DACs and Amps work. Different amps with different topologies have different flaws, there isn't a clear cut "upgrade" so to speak.

Just grab yourself a magni + modi combo, and be done with it. You won't need any other pair of amp/dac to drive any headphone properly.

I never recommend someone spending more on their amp+dac compared to their headphone because at that point you might as well get a better headphone

That's why i will probably wait for the 6xx and then see if an amp is actually needed. Massdrop made a shit ton of money from the headphone sales i would gladly wait to get them for 200$ since pricing in my country is around 350$.

10 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Really? I can certainly hear a noticeable difference between my NuForce uDAC 3 vs my Fostex HPA4......you really can't cite a 1k USD tube amp for such an example. Also, do bear in mind that peeps' sound preference can be so varied, some might actually prefer the colored sound of a cheaper amp vs the colored sound of a 1k USD tube amp.

I'm a little confused with your comment.

Both of your devices contain DAC's in them, so the comparison isn't valid. An Amp by itself is a very different beast from an Amp + DAC combo.

10 hours ago, seduce_me said:

You could argue the same for the source. 
DAC just reconstructs the analog waveform needed to hear the music. Meanwhile, clean undistorted amplification is absolutely necessary for clean audio. Then, the DAC is just a "nice to have", not a "must have".

You're oversimplifying how DACs and Amps work. Different amps with different topologies have different flaws, there isn't a clear cut "upgrade" so to speak.

I'm certainly simplifying it, but you're not doing anything different.

Again, if you're using a crappy 128 Kbps MP3, playing that back on $2000 hardware isn't going to stop the fact that your source is shit. Will it sound "Good enough"? Perhaps. But that'd be personal preference.

Start with a good source, then a good pair of headphones, then work up from there. No need to unnecessarily spend potentially hundreds of dollars on Amps or DAC's unless they're actually needed.

4 hours ago, EbayPolice said:

That's why i will probably wait for the 6xx and then see if an amp is actually needed. Massdrop made a shit ton of money from the headphone sales i would gladly wait to get them for 200$ since pricing in my country is around 350$.

You're doing the right thing. Try it out first and then see. I might still get an Amp or Amp + DAC combo for my 6xx, but I definitely don't need one. Both my iPhone 6s and my HP Spectre x360 drive the 6xx pretty good (though the iPhone is definitely on the lower limit of acceptable - max volume isn't as loud as it could be).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, EbayPolice said:

Keep a lookout in the Used/Garage section of your local tech and/audio forums, you might just land one like I did. Bought mine from a local seller who'd decided he didn't quite like the sound signature. Cost me about 200USD actually (though there are others selling new ones at about 260USD), I didn't mind as the one I'd gotten was essentially like in mint condition.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Keep a lookout in the Used/Garage section of your local tech and/audio forums, you might just land one like I did. Bought mine from a local seller who'd decided he didn't quite like the sound signature. Cost me about 200USD actually (though there are others selling new ones at about 260USD), I didn't mind as the one I'd gotten was essentially like in mint condition.

Plus sometimes you can find older (but very high quality) sound gear like amps, etc, at local garage sales for next to nothing.

23 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Oh - just to clarify, 6xx's are not $200 CAD. They're closer to $300 CAD including shipping and currency conversion.

Whereas I can buy HD 598's on Amazon for $160 CAD w/ free shipping. The pricing in the US might well be very different, but here in Canada, they cost about double, and that's also considering that the 6xx's are limited run batches, so you can't just buy them anytime you want.

If I want to buy them right away, I have to get 650's from Amazon for $450 CAD.

Sometimes... sometimes I want to set up a PO box up in Buffalo... and you know... quietly bring them across.  Not worth getting searched & having my car impounded.

So, @dalekphalm , the 6xx are running about $300 CDN (incl shipping & exch).  I’ll watch the Massdrops for March & April... And you noticed a significant difference between the H598 vs HD6__ series? Good to know.  Thanks for the post, eh.

1 minute ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

Sometimes... sometimes I want to set up a PO box up in Buffalo... and you know... quietly bring them across.  Not worth getting searched & having my car impounded.

So, @dalekphalm , the 6xx are running about $300 CDN (incl shipping & exch).  I’ll watch the Massdrops for March & April... And you noticed a significant difference between the H598 vs HD6__ series? Good to know.  Thanks for the post, eh.

Oh yes, if you can afford the $300 price tag, the 6xx is definitely worth the extra cost.