PS4 Couch Split screen game help

ZeusXI

So my brother in law and i are trying to find games that are FREE and co-op so we could be in the same room, 1 ps4, and 2 controllers and split screen a game to play. After looking for a long time, and disappointed in games "claiming" to be free, and turning out to be like 20$ or more (we dont want to spend any money) what games do you all know, if anyone, that know of any games that are PS4, Couch multiplayer compatible? 

I mean... it's a console. There are lots of cheap games, but very few actual free ones.

Is there a reason you can't just spend a few bucks buying a good multiplayer game?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I mean... it's a console. There are lots of cheap games, but very few actual free ones.

Is there a reason you can't just spend a few bucks buying a good multiplayer game?

And most F2P games (I'm assuming we're not counting 'Free' games with PSN, since there's the subscription cost) are going to be for online multiplayer with paid items eect as part of their revenue plans.  Free local split screen multiplayer doesn't really make any money.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

And most F2P games (I'm assuming we're not counting 'Free' games with PSN, since there's the subscription cost) are going to be for online multiplayer with paid items eect as part of their revenue plans.  Free local split screen multiplayer doesn't really make any money.

Especially since aren’t there fairly defined costs to developing a console game?

Basically, releasing a “free” game with no microtransactions would actually cost the devs money. Potentially a lot. 

Its not like an indie PC dev who can just release a game on their own website for negligible cost. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

So my brother in law and i are trying to find games that are FREE and co-op so we could be in the same room, 1 ps4, and 2 controllers and split screen a game to play. After looking for a long time, and disappointed in games "claiming" to be free, and turning out to be like 20$ or more (we dont want to spend any money) what games do you all know, if anyone, that know of any games that are PS4, Couch multiplayer compatible? 

Find stuff on pc, 2d games, and play on some laptop hooked into the tv with hdmi. You can hook controllers up of almost nay kind too. Tons of stuff out there that's fun and can run on anything. Some is not free, but you can pirate if you're poor. Either way it takes some effort. 

Hell even old 3d games. Get unreal tournament 99 or quake 3. Both are on GOG DRM free and run on potatoes. (Also easy to find pirated copies). Yes you'll need 2 pcs in that case and play with mouse and kb, but like 2 dumpster laptops or desktops. Anything works. You just gotta take some effort to set it all up 

If you wanna game often- You know what I recommend if you want easy? It'll cost a lil up front

Get 2 ps3s. They are VERY cheap, in fact the controllers are worth almost as much as the console at this point. But why ps3s?

1. You don't pay for online

2. good used games with active multiplayer can be had for a couple of dollars 

You'll also need a screen. Can be an old monitor with HDMI or shitty extra tv. Doesn't matter, just matters' you're in the same room. I know it costs money, Once you get 2 functional ps3s with controllers, you'll be able to go and get games for 2 or 3 dollars you can play online together. Old CODs, battlefield games. Games with online co-op like borderlands. It is SO much better than splitscreen and tons of fun can be had for cheap AFTER the initial investment. Who knows about your area, but my local used game shops have shit for less than 5$ all the time. I paid 3$ a copy for mw3, bought 3, we have a weekend of fun at least for 3$ each. That's less than snacks and shit, forget meals. I found this out because I just have a a fuck tons of ps3s from the days I used to make money fixing them. (If you can afford a slim, much less likely to fail long term btw)

YRiRbqX.jpg

They're not great games, but if you're playing with friends (or your brother in this case) it's always fun. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch