Recommendations for a gaming laptop with good battery life.

J_Mango

Hello :) 

I'm a student who's going to a polytechnic in a few months. The idea of gaming laptop that has good battery life and relatively light so I don't break my back carrying it to school everyday.

My budget is around USD$2300 and I would prefer a spec'd laptop that could run games like PUBG,Overwatch,Skyrim. I've been looking at the Razer Blade 14 but I'm waiting for the next iteration to be released and I'm not so sure when it will be released.

I already have a desktop that I game on at home and I'm looking for something that I could use as a daily driver for school and a portable gaming powerhouse that I can bring over to my friends' house for LANS and such.

My biggest requirement is a laptop with at least 5-7 hours of battery life as I will be using it for hours on end in school.

Hoping for some replies :D 

6 minutes ago, J_Mango said:

Hello :) 

I'm a student who's going to a polytechnic in a few months. The idea of gaming laptop that has good battery life and relatively light so I don't break my back carrying it to school everyday.

My budget is around USD$2300 and I would prefer a spec'd laptop that could run games like PUBG,Overwatch,Skyrim. I've been looking at the Razer Blade 14 but I'm waiting for the next iteration to be released and I'm not so sure when it will be released.

I already have a desktop that I game on at home and I'm looking for something that I could use as a daily driver for school and a portable gaming powerhouse that I can bring over to my friends' house for LANS and such.

My biggest requirement is a laptop with at least 5-7 hours of battery life as I will be using it for hours on end in school.

Hoping for some replies :D 

Battery life is a funny topic with a gaming laptop, and it heavily depends on the use. My laptop (ASUS GL553V) battery lasts when gaming, all of about 45 minutes to an hour, however with regular university use (or school use in your case) it can last up to 6. It depends on use, battery health, charge cycles, screen brightness and power plan.

Battery isnt a strong point on gaming laptops especially, you NEED to be prepared to be near a power outlet if you're going to game on a laptop.

Hope this gives you a slight guidance :)

1 minute ago, J_Mango said:

My budget is around USD$2300

You want light powerful and long battery life thats the holy trinity that`s not existing. You can get light and powerful 1080 Q max laptop which has 45 min battery while gaming and maybe 3 h during office work but nothing more. Or you can get a big fat gaming laptop disable GPU and get some 5 h battery life with every power save option on. Just get a thin and light for office work and use your desktop for gaming and carry it to a LAN cant be that hard guys slightly older than me and even i experienced it took CTR´s(that weight 20+ KG´s) to LANs so cant be that hard to carry your desktop + a 2kg LCD and mouse keyboard get a trolley bag if you have no car or someone that can take you with his car. 

get 2 laptops

a used ultrabook, for class.. avoid macbook if you can, not good price/value even when used usually, but older ultrabooks may have a shit shit keyboard and a shit shit useless trackpad so...

a used gaming laptop (don't go for M series, go for pascal, with pascal nvidia just said fuck it let's shove desktop grade GPUs in ALL the laptops!)

sell after you're finished.

edit:

why get two laptops / used laptops?

an ultrabook is good at being thin, light, and usually great battery life.

a ultrabook is not about performance. add in performance, you got a bulky thing. add in battery, you got even bulkier. also, price premium, college student, no.

once you open anything up, it basically loses half of it's value on the spot. but, going third hand, fourth hand, fifth hand, doesn't really lose any more value. save some $, you can find some great deals on older/second hand things.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I have been in the same situation for the past 2 weeks. I have been looking for a laptop that gets good battery life but can also play low to mid demand games. While searching this forum, I found pretty much the same stereotypical responses. But with my own time and research, I found 3 that I think fit the bill for the most part.

1. ASUS ZenBook Pro (UX550VE) (≈$1,699.00): This laptop has a 7700HQ and a 1050 Ti. Reviews have said that it can get hot and throttle up to 20%, but benchmarks have it around other laptops. If you buy it from HIDevolution and select one of their thermal solutions it might help, but I have no experience with that and cannot say for sure. The battery life is as follows from notebookcheck.net's review:

Idle (without WLAN, min brightness): 17h 03min

NBC WiFi Websurfing Battery Test 1.3: 8h 52min

Load (maximum brightness): 1h 10min

Additional notes: It comes in all black aluminum and royal blue, but the royal blue is an Asia exclusive and will need to be imported.

2. Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (dndnf510s) (≈$1,149.99): This laptop is pretty much perfect. It has a 7700HQ and a 1050 Ti (can go up to a 1060, but then battery life takes a dip). The only thing wrong with it is the display. Reviews say that it is 'bluish' and has poor contrast. It also follows in the red and black 'gamer' theme that I personally am not fond of, but you may not mind. The battery life is as follows from notebookcheck.net's review:

Idle (without WLAN, min brightness): 19h 34min

WiFi Surfing v1.3: 10h 22min

Big Buck Bunny H.264 1080p: 7h 35min

Load (maximum brightness): 1h 21min

3. Microsoft Surface Book 2 (15", i7, 16GB, 256GB) (≈ 2,499.00): While this is above your price range, I think it is valuable to include just in case something changes. It has an i7-8650U and a GTX 1060. Reviews say that it is loud at load, takes a long time to charge, and that the power adapter isn't sufficient. Keep in mind if you are going to buy this, you better pick the right amount of storage because it is a completely sealed unit. The battery life is as follows from engadget.com's review:

Idle: 20h 50min

Local Video Playback: 17h

Load: 5h

Gigabyte Aero 15/15X.

To clear things above, Asus UX550VE has throttling issue and overpriced, Microsoft Surface Book has reliability issue and overpriced, Dell 7567/7577 may sound too bulky for you. Also, all Max-Q laptops have different battery life and most of them have mediocre battery life (only a few exceptions). I also recommend laptop+desktop since your budget allows. Yes battery life isn't a strong point in gaming laptops but again, there are exceptions.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Gigabyte Aero 15/15X.

To clear things above, Asus UX550VE has throttling issue and overpriced, Microsoft Surface Book has reliability issue and overpriced, Dell 7567/7577 may sound too bulky for you. Also, all Max-Q laptops have different battery life and most of them have mediocre battery life (only a few exceptions). I also recommend laptop+desktop since your budget allows. Yes battery life isn't a strong point in gaming laptops but again, there are exceptions.

Thank you, I was going to recommend that one, but I accidentally removed the bookmark from Chrome.

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, owencrispy said:

Battery life is a funny topic with a gaming laptop, and it heavily depends on the use. My laptop (ASUS GL553V) battery lasts when gaming, all of about 45 minutes to an hour, however with regular university use (or school use in your case) it can last up to 6. It depends on use, battery health, charge cycles, screen brightness and power plan.

Battery isnt a strong point on gaming laptops especially, you NEED to be prepared to be near a power outlet if you're going to game on a laptop.

Hope this gives you a slight guidance :)

charge cycles? Could you explain more?