Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

I just joined the F@team as shd0w2 and i'm confused. I'm not actually earning any points with my GTX 770 and i5 4690k, idk if it is a bug, or what, but I'd like some help with what to do to fix it, and what settings to run

Also, since I joined, do I right away earn the F@ H Team badge? I'd like to know if  Iget that. I'll start folding for the other badges, but  Icant as it doesnt seem to be working

@tobben

Let us know if it has started working - I am having a similar issue that my client will simply not get any new WU's.... Trying to sort out why...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hi 

How long does a powerful PC take to fold?

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

Hi 

Forever, folding is not a one time thing, it is continuously downloading more info, and folding again, and again, and again...

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Hi 

this question needs some rephrasing if anyone is going to be able to answer it, you don't "finish" folding but you can complete the individual work units sendt to you, they vary in size and duration from a few hours to maybe a full day, so the question doesn't have alot of merit, but powerful/high end hardware will finish most normal wu's in a few hours.

Forever, folding is not a one time thing, it is continuously downloading more info, and folding again, and again, and again...

well the project itself will likely morph and change as it progresses but we are working on something finite :P.

Take 2:Hi 

How long does a powerful PC take to complete one unit?

Core i5-Core 17

FX6300-FX 9370

GTX 760-TITAN

Radeon R9 270-R9 290x

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

Take 2:Hi

How long does a powerful PC take to complete one unit?

Core i5-Core 17

FX6300-FX 9370

GTX 760-TITAN

Radeon R9 270-R9 290x

Again, hard to say. A Core17 is a GPU work unit. Now, depending on which project, what else the card may be doing, can all effect the time. Literally for various Core17 projects this could be from a couple of hours to a day...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I'm back to folding on my 3770k and 670 and in the time I have that system and my new build I will have 2 folding at night and the 3770k + 670 rig folding near 24/7 !

My 780Ti squeels like a pig when I try to fold on it, works like a charm with everything else, any ideas? It is watercooled.

Some cards do as they are under constant full load. I have a 660ti witch does the same, but my sli 680's don't make as much noise.

Some cards do as they are under constant full load. I have a 660ti witch does the same, but my sli 680's don't make as much noise.

Weird, I un OCed, and OCed again, now it is completely silent :S

My 780Ti squeels like a pig when I try to fold on it, works like a charm with everything else, any ideas? It is watercooled.

Coil whine - common on some cards when drawing a lot of voltage, which most other times wouldn't happen. I would see about an RMA.

Hello all,

Long time stalker, first time folder.

I read up on all Whaler_99's guides and a folding I will go.

Coil whine - common on some cards when drawing a lot of voltage, which most other times wouldn't happen. I would see about an RMA.

Yeah, I know what coil whine is, the weird part is that it never happened when stress testing, and now it has just dissapeard while folding aswell :S

The AX850 I once had, had REALLY bad coilwhine, so I've experienced it before :/

Hello all,

Long time stalker, first time folder.

I read up on all Whaler_99's guides and a folding I will go.

nice, good job, welcome to the collective and good luck.

Thanks, but you could have warned me it was addictive.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to make a new thread for this as it should be a short question. If a graphics card (GTX 770) has been folded on for 1 year (I think 24/7), would that deteriorate the card's lifespan/performance/integrity in a noticeable way? 

What? Addictive? no..... :)

just joined the team ;)

Welcome to the gang!

I didn't want to make a new thread for this as it should be a short question. If a graphics card (GTX 770) has been folded on for 1 year (I think 24/7), would that deteriorate the card's lifespan/performance/integrity in a noticeable way? 

Not really, as long as you didn't overclock, should be fine.

well the way i see it, the more addicts we have the better it is, so i'l save the warning for when people have already figured it out themselves :P

Wish the big guns would come come back out and fold. At least get into the 30s

^ This.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Been trying, but the FAH servers have been so screwy last few weeks, cannot get any WU's.