Sync up desktop files in macOS.

For some reason, google's backup and sync is refusing to work on my 2017 macbook pro. 

Whenever I open it it gave out this error message: 

5a3320b826576_ScreenShot2017-08-17at9_42_53PM.png.89d7c5229f332be4a8cd257554107823.png

My question is this: 

I know in the icloud settings I can select to use icloud drive to store everything on my desktop. And it will stay in sync. 

Is there other way that I can backup my folders and files on desktop? And preferably it always stay in sync? 

I just want to be double secure my files. I don't want to rely on icloud only cos I've seen people having trouble syncing their files.  

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

11 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

dropbox? reinstalling the google back up? 

Does Dropbox actually sync up? Or you need to reupload every time you change something in it? Googles back up and sync does not work at all. Reinstalled a billion time , consulted Apple support and they gave the conclusion that it is not macOS ‘s problem. Googles own forum had a bunch of complaints about the new backup and sync does not work. My issue never get any more feed back from their staff after the 1st month. 

27 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Does Dropbox actually sync up? Or you need to reupload every time you change something in it? Googles back up and sync does not work at all. Reinstalled a billion time , consulted Apple support and they gave the conclusion that it is not macOS ‘s problem. Googles own forum had a bunch of complaints about the new backup and sync does not work. My issue never get any more feed back from their staff after the 1st month. 

When I used to use it it did... although that was about 4 years ago.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

45 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

When I used to use it it did... although that was about 4 years ago.

i'll give it a try thanks

49 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

i'll give it a try thanks

Let me know how you get on, I might give it ago my self! :)

2 hours ago, fixitnow said:

Let me know how you get on, I might give it ago my self! :)

sure~

5 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

If you're on Mac, why don't you use Time Machine? And to sync files between different computers, but not with the cloud, Resilio Sync (previously BitTorrent Sync) is the best.

I will try these two. Thanks! 

Also Already using time machine to do back ups from time to time. 

"just wanna be sure everything is backed up"

On 12/17/2017 at 2:53 PM, mrchow19910319 said:

just wanna be sure everything is backed up

TimeMachine is the bees knees 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

already using it. 

4 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

already using it. 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

My only issue with time machine is that to a USB HDD it takes forever, and my Mac gets really hot. Is this normal or is it just my Mac?

28 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

My only issue with time machine is that to a USB HDD it takes forever, and my Mac gets really hot. Is this normal or is it just my Mac?

never had those issue on both my 2012 macbook pro non retina and my 2017 non touchbar

the 1st time always takes a lot longer than the rest.

how much stuff you have on your laptop? 

12 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

never had those issue on both my 2012 macbook pro non retina and my 2017 non touchbar

the 1st time always takes a lot longer than the rest.

how much stuff you have on your laptop? 

I think it's about 50 ish GB. I will give it another go as I haven't done it for a while. But it easily takes about 2 hours. Perhaps it's the USB drive. 

3 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

I think it's about 50 ish GB. I will give it another go as I haven't done it for a while. But it easily takes about 2 hours. Perhaps it's the USB drive. 

is it 2.0? use 3.0 one if it is

18 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

is it 2.0? use 3.0 one if it is

It's a USB 2 drive..my Mac only has 2 X USB 2.0 ports unfortunately. :(

Just now, fixitnow said:

It's a USB 2 drive..my Mac only has 2 X USB 2.0 ports unfortunately. :(

i see. if it is a desktop you can always buy a USB 3.0 card? (i dont know the proper names for it it convert PCIE to usb 3.0 )

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Express-Expansion-Connector-Renesas/dp/B011LZY20G/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X8X1AMJNGW1CDT5SJABA

7 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

i see. if it is a desktop you can always buy a USB 3.0 card? (i dont know the proper names for it it convert PCIE to usb 3.0 )

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Express-Expansion-Connector-Renesas/dp/B011LZY20G/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X8X1AMJNGW1CDT5SJABA

Unfortunately it's a macbook. I might make a air capsule thing out of my raspberry pi might speed things up a bit. I wouldn't mind the wait but you have to be there to make sure it doesn't fall asleep otherwise you have to start again. 

2 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

I wouldn't mind the wait but you have to be there to make sure it doesn't fall asleep otherwise you have to start again.

there are settings in macOS that let your machine never sleep

or it will not stop even it went to sleep.

what macOS version you are on? 

I always plug in the external drive when I am about to leave home. i'm pretty sure a few hours later when I am back my laptop is at sleep mode. but those backups never get interrupted, always finished. 

12 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

there are settings in macOS that let your machine never sleep

or it will not stop even it went to sleep.

what macOS version you are on? 

I always plug in the external drive when I am about to leave home. i'm pretty sure a few hours later when I am back my laptop is at sleep mode. but those backups never get interrupted, always finished. 

I had the issues with el capitan, although I have just upgraded to mac os sierra and I haven't tried it yet. It used to be that even if the display went off the time machine would stop. I do remember that you had to reformat the drive each time. (I don't remeber if that was my mac or not though....oops) I will give it another go after Christmas.

4 hours ago, fixitnow said:

I had the issues with el capitan, although I have just upgraded to mac os sierra and I haven't tried it yet. It used to be that even if the display went off the time machine would stop. I do remember that you had to reformat the drive each time. (I don't remeber if that was my mac or not though....oops) I will give it another go after Christmas.

okay. download caffeine or amphetamine and it will prevent your mac from sleeping

also i am pretty sure that you dont have to format the drive EACH time for backing up

you only need to format it ONCE. the 1st time you plug it in.

should be really easy. 

4 hours ago, fixitnow said:

also high sierra fucked up my macbook pro hard, be cautious when you install it. skip it if you dont absolutely need it.  

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

also high sierra fucked up my macbook pro hard, be cautious when you install it. skip it if you dont absolutely need it.  

I will stick with sierra, what I need to do works. I will try to see if it works before downloading or changing any settings, sierra might be nicer then el capitan. I will let you know how I get on thanks. How's using alternatives to google drive going?

Just now, fixitnow said:

I will stick with sierra, what I need to do works. I will try to see if it works before downloading or changing any settings, sierra might be nicer then el capitan. I will let you know how I get on thanks. How's using alternatives to google drive going?

lol too lazy to try it out. im still using google drive, just through webpage. 

also I have back up on icloud drive as well as time machine, so I think I am good.

2 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

lol too lazy to try it out. im still using google drive, just through webpage. 

also I have back up on icloud drive as well as time machine, so I think I am good.

Fair enough :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if it helps any, but that's the "Backup" part, not the "Sync" part. When you backup system folders with Backup and Sync it does not sync backups across devices. It only backs them up in the cloud. You can download a backup from the Drive website. The only things that will actively sync across devices are files and folders inside of the Google Drive Folder. That's just the way it's designed.

You could have some fun symlinking things. I haven't done the research, but I'm pretty sure it would work.