Lenovo z50-70 wont boot from any media

So I have been fumbling about with this for the better part of 2 days now.

It started when I wanted to refresh my laptop. I used the "refresh this PC" inside windows 8.1 which deletes all your files without having to completely reinstall.

After coming back to my laptop an hour later I was presented with what you see in (picture 1).

At first I shrugged this off thinking the restore just crapped out and went on my way to making an USB install disk of windows 8.1 (yes not windows 10, I dont like windows 10). Here is where the real issues started. I could not get it to boot from my USB stick no matter what I tried (Picture 2). I even tried two different linux distros (ubuntu and zorin os) The issue most likely being secure boot being turned on or UEFI boot being turned on. One problem, none of the changes I make to the bios are saved.

As a last resort I installed windows onto the drive using a different computer and this went without a hitch (even validated it being bootable with said computer), untill I plugged the drive back into the laptop (Picture 3 when using the boot menu and picture 1 when just letting it boot without touching anything). now after trying to boot for a while it just gives me what you see on picture 4.

I'm kinda at a loss of what to do now, any tips would be appricated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

15 minutes ago, thauolar said:

So I have been fumbling about with this for the better part of 2 days now.

It started when I wanted to refresh my laptop. I used the "refresh this PC" inside windows 8.1 which deletes all your files without having to completely reinstall.

After coming back to my laptop an hour later I was presented with what you see in (picture 1).

At first I shrugged this off thinking the restore just crapped out and went on my way to making an USB install disk of windows 8.1 (yes not windows 10, I dont like windows 10). Here is where the real issues started. I could not get it to boot from my USB stick no matter what I tried (Picture 2). I even tried two different linux distros (ubuntu and zorin os) The issue most likely being secure boot being turned on or UEFI boot being turned on. One problem, none of the changes I make to the bios are saved.

As a last resort I installed windows onto the drive using a different computer and this went without a hitch (even validated it being bootable with said computer), untill I plugged the drive back into the laptop (Picture 3 when using the boot menu and picture 1 when just letting it boot without touching anything). now after trying to boot for a while it just gives me what you see on picture 4.

I'm kinda at a loss of what to do now, any tips would be appricated

Your Laptop may need to have the board replaced. It won't be cheap and may not even be worth it. Otherwise, did you try cleaning the ports where the HD goes into?

3 hours ago, Wwadsworth said:

Your Laptop may need to have the board replaced. It won't be cheap and may not even be worth it. Otherwise, did you try cleaning the ports where the HD goes into?

If the motherboard is really toast I'm going to be tossing the laptop for sure. I had some other people tell me it might be the cmos battery that's empty but not only is it not easily accessible its also spot welded onto the motherboard. 

I guess I can try cleaning the connector for the hdd, though I don't think it's what's causing a problem. 

ok I checked and the cmos battery has voltage 3.1 volts which is going to the motherboard. so it cant be that