upgrade low bitrate mp3's?

mechanicalfluff

Finally got around to organizing my music collection. At the time of ripping the tracks, I was more concerned about file-size, so the bitrate is pretty poop on a lot of them (96-128 some higher)

After searching around, i saw that amazon cloud would get you a higher quality file if it matched. Kind of new to the whole thing, i saw itunes match would sort of do the same thing.

Any suggestions? ideas? Most of the original cd's are long gone/destroyed, i've already re-ripped the ones that survived into flac.

Thanks folks :)

When the CD was ripped, the mp3 compression tossed out some info to get the file size low, so you can't "magically" bring that data back short of re-ripping the CD or acquiring copies elsewhere. Probably a good idea to rip in flac all the time as that keeps virtually all the data with the file.

Just now, LunaP0n3 said:

When the CD was ripped, the mp3 compression tossed out some info to get the file size low, so you can't "magically" bring that data back short of re-ripping the CD or acquiring copies elsewhere. Probably a good idea to rip in flac all the time as that keeps virtually all the data with the file.

Yeah, that's my predicament.. I did get the cd's that are still around re-ripped. More curious about services like amazon cloud/itunes match to try to recover some of them that i don't have access to anymore. I'm just not too sure if there's an even better option/service out there to handle it - or if it's even worth it

Ah the agony of destroyed physical media. Not sure on either of those options. I'd ask Google.

15 minutes ago, mechanicalfluff said:

Yeah, that's my predicament.. I did get the cd's that are still around re-ripped. More curious about services like amazon cloud/itunes match to try to recover some of them that i don't have access to anymore. I'm just not too sure if there's an even better option/service out there to handle it - or if it's even worth it

I recently stopped using MP3's and started my Spotify Premium subscription

To be honest I wasn't very keen to try it but now that I'm using it I do see benefits, Control music playing on PC via my watch, or any other combo - Having access to music I didn't try before giving my new music - Convenience  factor, no more copy to SD card, ripping CD's,etc - and a must is offline play, data is expensive and I prefer to be able to listen to music when I do not have a connection to the internet.

But for recovering low bitrate MP3's, sadly it isn't possible

That file has been compressed, which removes certain parts of it to make it smaller.

When they are removed, you cannot get them back unless you get the source again aka the CD.

I remember having 2 MP3's of nickelback - how you remind me. One sounded like I got used to it, but it turned out to be a low quality version. Listening to the actual CD made that clear. 

TL;DR

You cannot recover the file, you could get them through other means like :

Spotify
iTunes

Amazon

Or other places we do not speak about ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

23 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

I recently stopped using MP3's and started my Spotify Premium subscription

To be honest I wasn't very keen to try it but now that I'm using it I do see benefits, Control music playing on PC via my watch, or any other combo - Having access to music I didn't try before giving my new music - Convenience  factor, no more copy to SD card, ripping CD's,etc - and a must is offline play, data is expensive and I prefer to be able to listen to music when I do not have a connection to the internet.

But for recovering low bitrate MP3's, sadly it isn't possible

That file has been compressed, which removes certain parts of it to make it smaller.

When they are removed, you cannot get them back unless you get the source again aka the CD.

I remember having 2 MP3's of nickelback - how you remind me. One sounded like I got used to it, but it turned out to be a low quality version. Listening to the actual CD made that clear. 

TL;DR

You cannot recover the file, you could get them through other means like :

Spotify
iTunes

Amazon

Or other places we do not speak about ;)

I've thought of the places of which we do not speak, but my ISP is rather uptight about such locations. I don't really want to burn bridges with "alternative connection" options either :/

I like the idea of spotify, but i'd like to avoid paying for a service for stuff i already own. I do most of my recent discovery over youtube then get them on googleplay/amazon if i really want them. Podcasts usually take up most of my audio time. But as an "investment", i wanted to have high quality backups on my plex server. 

I might try to ebay some of the cd's, see where that gets me. might get lucky and find a 'lot' of some of the cd's i like. Otherwise i might slowly start going to hdtracks or other places to get hq versions to hold on to.

Thanks! :)