Portable Headphones ~100$

Go to solution Solved by Max_Settings,

Did you look at the Hifiman Edition S?

Hi all I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for headphones for portable use around the $100 range?

I'm mainly going to be gaming with these so soundstage is a great plus. They don't need to be super accurate, but definitely on the fun side. I'm primarily looking at the M40X as the M50X were way too closed in for my tastes but I really want to know what other alternative headphones are out there that fit my budget. Also they need to be portable enough that I can toss them into my bag without taking up too much space!! If I need to sacrifice some SQ for build quality I don't mind.

I'm currently using Fostex T50RP MK3s but they're just too bulky to carry around all the time but sound and work fantastic. I've also got AKG K553s and while the soundstage is amazing, they're just too bass light for fun and I always have trouble getting them to seal properly on my head, especially on the go. Plus attached ridiculous cable makes them not very portable friendly.

I know there are the Takstar Pro82s available but I'm just not sure of their durability against the M40X. If I had the budget I would love to get a pair of Sennheiser Momentums but they're just too much out of my budget and I need some headphones that I won't feel too bad throwing them around. I've got Fidelio X2s I use at home and ideally I would absolutely love to have something that has similar sound signature, but probably next to impossible to get in a closed back set, especially on something portable and around $100.

Also I can't stand on-ear headphones if my above collection was any indication haha :P 

I appreciate any help or input!!

I recommend the Arctis 7. Pretty lightweight, good battery life, good mic, 2 channels + tons controls on the headset not to mention the excellent customer service + 2 year warranty it's great. Do some digging and you'll be able to find it around 120.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

I'm not really looking for a headset itself or for wireless connectivity but I've had issues with gaming headsets before. I tried my buddy's Razer Tiamat 7.1s and I found them to be too muddy and the soundstage to be too artificially spread out causing small gaps between positioning. I used to own a set of original HyperX Clouds which were surprisingly decent for the price. I guess my biggest issue with the Arctis 7 is that they don't seem to fold which won't make them anymore portable than the T50RPs that I'm using now :( 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 11:45 AM, Max_Settings said:

Did you like at the Hifiman Edition S?

Ordered the Hifiman Edition S and they are awesome! They sound great and the flexibility to go open or closed worked for me! I do want to note for anyone else looking at these that they are not very isolated when closed, but work enough to prevent sound leaking out or when sitting in a cafe, just maybe not enough for something like an airplane. They're super portable and are pretty efficient but always benefit from a dedicated amp/dac. Lows are super accurate and have decent impact, highs are smooth (a tad peaky with the covers on but still great) and good sound stage and imaging. They are better in all aspects with the covers off and coupled with my FiiO E18 just makes everything pop a little more. Comfort is on point even with wearing glasses for several hours at a time.

Thanks for the help guys!

8 minutes ago, Vizard424 said:

Ordered the Hifiman Edition S and they are awesome! They sound great and the flexibility to go open or closed worked for me! I do want to note for anyone else looking at these that they are not very isolated when closed, but work enough to prevent sound leaking out or when sitting in a cafe, just maybe not enough for something like an airplane. They're super portable and are pretty efficient but always benefit from a dedicated amp/dac. Lows are super accurate and have decent impact, highs are smooth (a tad peaky with the covers on but still great) and good sound stage and imaging. They are better in all aspects with the covers off and coupled with my FiiO E18 just makes everything pop a little more. Comfort is on point even with wearing glasses for several hours at a time.

Thanks for the help guys!

Awesome man glad I could help! Just an FYI most people like them with the covers off. But obviously if you need closed use them closed. But if the sound leak is of no concern I would recommend running them open.