Installing Ethernet throught house, need help.

ScreamSlasher5X

This might seem simple to some and I'll say why it isn't for me in two. 1) I've never undertaken something like this before and don't have someone who can help. 2) I don't even know how to go about.
OK, firstly I live in a house that has a downstairs (First level) then an upstairs (Second level) and lastly another upstairs (Third level). As far as I am aware the house is made almost all out of brick, this means again as far as I am aware there's little to no gap between walls. Secondly in my room I have laminate flooring, since I have laminate and it is connected together I CANNOT get a cable up by removing it otherwise I have to destroy almost all of it, also my brothers room above me has laminate as well. See my shit drawing to see where the cables need to travel. NOTE : IN CASE IT HAPPENS TO CONFUSE FOR SOME REASON I'LL GIVE AN EXAMPLE TO TELL WHAT IS ABOVE WHAT FLOOR. E.G. L IS BELOW 2nd Level RIGHT SIDE BE. Help is extremely appreciated.

ETHERNET.png

Have you tried just using Powerline or MOCA?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Drilling small holes through floors would simplify your life a lot. Using powerline adapters would be an option for sure, although certainly not as good as dedicated ethernet runs. In most homes it isnt too obnoxious to run a single cable tucked between carpet and a baseboard, or else tight and secured against the corner on hardwood/laminate/tile flooring. Limiting your runs between floors to a single cable and then using switches to branch to other areas of the floor would likely be the best option for you. 

Definitely consider whether holes in the floor is an option, or else going with long runs that form to the edges of the house to get upstairs. 

Are you open to drilling holes through the walls and then pinning cables to the outside of the house? That's how I did most of the cables in my house, it's much easier than running up through floors IMO and you won't see it as much if you mess anything up. Buy a big spool of outdoor ethernet cable and run it round the house, that's what I'd do. 

You could also just run outside the house for going up a floor, so run up a floor into a wall terminal, then have a switch and run everthing on that floor to the switch, then the same for the other floors, so all the switches are linked up by the outside cables. If you're a heavy LAN user and sharing a gigabit link between the switches isn't enough, it may be worth getting some switches with 10G uplinks and interconnect the switches using the 10G ports and everything else on Gigabit. 

You have a brick house which will make running cables to internal walls a real pain. The question though is what are your internal walls? A lot of brick houses will have a double brick external wall with a small gap between the internal and external walls. Is it like that? If so then you can run cables through that cavity. If not then your best option will probably be to run it on the outside of the house as others have suggested

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

22 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Are you open to drilling holes through the walls and then pinning cables to the outside of the house? That's how I did most of the cables in my house, it's much easier than running up through floors IMO and you won't see it as much if you mess anything up. Buy a big spool of outdoor ethernet cable and run it round the house, that's what I'd do. 

You could also just run outside the house for going up a floor, so run up a floor into a wall terminal, then have a switch and run everthing on that floor to the switch, then the same for the other floors, so all the switches are linked up by the outside cables. If you're a heavy LAN user and sharing a gigabit link between the switches isn't enough, it may be worth getting some switches with 10G uplinks and interconnect the switches using the 10G ports and everything else on Gigabit. 

16 hours ago, skywake said:

You have a brick house which will make running cables to internal walls a real pain. The question though is what are your internal walls? A lot of brick houses will have a double brick external wall with a small gap between the internal and external walls. Is it like that? If so then you can run cables through that cavity. If not then your best option will probably be to run it on the outside of the house as others have suggested

@skywake I believe there may be a small gap although I'm doubtful.

OK, so I have a plan on changing service providers soon and that will be to Virgin since they'll be bringing out the fastest broadband and due to having multiple computers people game on and likely at once among several consoles that will and will not be being used at once not mentioning multiple wireless devices also, so I'm planning on getting much faster Internet, not just for that but for in general faster and better overall streaming, anyway, so Virgin will be bringing out that optic cable.

My problem is wiring it outside the house. We have a conservatory and that makes wiring up the wall into my room an utter fucking cunt. The Switch in my room is a good call however that still makes getting a cable up another floor a problem. Any ideas? Also not that either of you said it but I'M NOT using powerline sockets, I've heard mixed things, plus they aren't cheap and I think that will make having extremely fast fibre pointless. I might ask when Virgin when they come to my area and hook my house up if they can do the wiring for me, if I get a no then asking the person/s that come to do it if they would be willing to install it for us, or do it as an off the books cash in hand side job.

1 minute ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

@skywake I believe there may be a small gap although I'm doubtful.

OK, so I have a plan on changing service providers soon and that will be to Virgin since they'll be bringing out the fastest broadband and due to having multiple computers people game on and likely at once among several consoles that will and will not be being used at once not mentioning multiple wireless devices also, so I'm planning on getting much faster Internet, not just for that but for in general faster and better overall streaming, anyway, so Virgin will be bringing out that optic cable.

My problem is wiring it outside the house. We have a conservatory and that makes wiring up the wall into my room an utter fucking cunt. The Switch in my room is a good call however that still makes getting a cable up another floor a problem. Any ideas? Also not that either of you said it but I'M NOT using powerline sockets, I've heard mixed things, plus they aren't cheap and I think that will make having extremely fast fibre pointless. I might ask when Virgin when they come to my area and hook my house up if they can do the wiring for me, if I get a no then asking the person/s that come to do it if they would be willing to install it for us, or do it as an off the books cash in hand side job.

You could run a cable through to a different room on the ground floor, then go out the wall in that room, run it up and around to your room on the first floor, or just to the room directly above the other room on the ground floor and have the switch for the first floor there. 

If Virgin need to put in a new line into the house, you could be better off having them install it somewhere that allows you to run up from there easily. In general, they won't install LAN infrastructure as it's not really part of their business, that's something you'd get a contractor like an electrician to do. I got the builders that were doing work on the house to drill me some holes, install backplates and run the cables around the house while they were doing things already, then I got the RJ45 faceplates and wired the cables up myself. Since then I also added a few more cables, including drilling the holes and running it, it's really not hard, though running up a wall is a bit harder as you'll need a ladder. 

23 hours ago, ScreamSlasher5X said:

This might seem simple to some and I'll say why it isn't for me in two. 1) I've never undertaken something like this before and don't have someone who can help. 2) I don't even know how to go about.
OK, firstly I live in a house that has a downstairs (First level) then an upstairs (Second level) and lastly another upstairs (Third level). As far as I am aware the house is made almost all out of brick, this means again as far as I am aware there's little to no gap between walls. Secondly in my room I have laminate flooring, since I have laminate and it is connected together I CANNOT get a cable up by removing it otherwise I have to destroy almost all of it, also my brothers room above me has laminate as well. See my shit drawing to see where the cables need to travel. NOTE : IN CASE IT HAPPENS TO CONFUSE FOR SOME REASON I'LL GIVE AN EXAMPLE TO TELL WHAT IS ABOVE WHAT FLOOR. E.G. L IS BELOW 2nd Level RIGHT SIDE BE. Help is extremely appreciated.

ETHERNET.png

pull base board wall trimming and cut a gap for ethernet cable to fit

do this where you need to run wires

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You could run a cable through to a different room on the ground floor, then go out the wall in that room, run it up and around to your room on the first floor, or just to the room directly above the other room on the ground floor and have the switch for the first floor there. 

If Virgin need to put in a new line into the house, you could be better off having them install it somewhere that allows you to run up from there easily. In general, they won't install LAN infrastructure as it's not really part of their business, that's something you'd get a contractor like an electrician to do. I got the builders that were doing work on the house to drill me some holes, install backplates and run the cables around the house while they were doing things already, then I got the RJ45 faceplates and wired the cables up myself. Since then I also added a few more cables, including drilling the holes and running it, it's really not hard, though running up a wall is a bit harder as you'll need a ladder. 

It's hard if you share a house that you don't own. However, it has been noted.