Japanese firm to use Drone to force overtime staff to go home

Go to solution Solved by kasugatei,

They start to play Auld Lang Syne ~5-10min before closing time so the customers know that it is time to finish shopping. They also play it 5-10min before trade show closing time as well.
Lots of things are connected with music in Japan. Eg. in the morning before work they usually play "radio taiso" - morning workout music. They also play melodies at 17:00 on PA systems every day all over the residential areas so the kids know that it is time to get back home. At some large companies they play "school bell" during the lunch break.

Regarding the overwork, AFAIK even kids at schools during their summer, winter etc. break don't actually have any break. They get shit ton of homework to do during the "break" and usually they do that homework at school. So, break my ass. I would say that is one of the factors which promotes overwork culture. Also, lots of people are single and simply do not want to get married so all they have is their work. Some men don't want to marry just because they don't want to give most of their money to their wives. Eg. my  Japanese friend's colleague has salary between $5000-$10000 at Japanese company and his wife allows him to have $300 (three hundred) per month for all of his personal needs. 

Finally, there is one other thing which is obvious if you have any real connection with Japanese culture is that everything that counts is being physically present. You know stories about sleeping during the meetings? It is fine because you are physically there. In some more traditional companies there is something that is not understandable for the westerners. It is that even if you work in a company for eg. 3 years and you do 10 times more than average worker there, the guy who worked there at the same position for 7 years playing solitaire for the whole time and doing almost nothing will have better salary than the better performing person and that person will be promoted sooner than better performing person just because the former person was physically more present than the other person. I have been told by some people that their Japanese supervisors were complaining because those people did not want to do non necessary overtime although they were more productive than the guys who would stay 3-4h more doing basically nothing. 

13 hours ago, kiska3 said:

Well a drone flying to kick people out when they work overtime?

I might just as well ignore the sounds its producing and continue working which may not be a popular opinion here

Or just knock it down with a broom and smash it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I might be more interested in knowing what stores play Auld Lang Syne when closing.  I worked closing shift in a grocery store and I would just make an announcement over the PA system.

EDIT: Apparently it's very common in Japan.  What would I do without Google?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

5 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Story time!  (to lazy for a proper transition)

My mom worked for UCSF (University of California, San Francisco) as a neurological nurse, she many times had to work overtime, without pay.

Also, if she wanted to properly take care of her patents, she had to take more time to properly take care of them.

She ended up getting tendinitis in both of her arms, largely due to overwork, but also due to the lack of ergonomic setups where she had to do her charting.

In under two years, she suffered debilitating bodily injuries due to a poor work environment, so a story to everyone that might be reading this, your health is by far the most important thing you have, remember that always, and don't do anything that might jeopardize it.

aw man , that's sad to hear.

Details separate people.

7 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

aw man , that's sad to hear.

If it makes you feel better, she is mostly better now.

We are both living fairly comfortably as well.

They start to play Auld Lang Syne ~5-10min before closing time so the customers know that it is time to finish shopping. They also play it 5-10min before trade show closing time as well.
Lots of things are connected with music in Japan. Eg. in the morning before work they usually play "radio taiso" - morning workout music. They also play melodies at 17:00 on PA systems every day all over the residential areas so the kids know that it is time to get back home. At some large companies they play "school bell" during the lunch break.

Regarding the overwork, AFAIK even kids at schools during their summer, winter etc. break don't actually have any break. They get shit ton of homework to do during the "break" and usually they do that homework at school. So, break my ass. I would say that is one of the factors which promotes overwork culture. Also, lots of people are single and simply do not want to get married so all they have is their work. Some men don't want to marry just because they don't want to give most of their money to their wives. Eg. my  Japanese friend's colleague has salary between $5000-$10000 at Japanese company and his wife allows him to have $300 (three hundred) per month for all of his personal needs. 

Finally, there is one other thing which is obvious if you have any real connection with Japanese culture is that everything that counts is being physically present. You know stories about sleeping during the meetings? It is fine because you are physically there. In some more traditional companies there is something that is not understandable for the westerners. It is that even if you work in a company for eg. 3 years and you do 10 times more than average worker there, the guy who worked there at the same position for 7 years playing solitaire for the whole time and doing almost nothing will have better salary than the better performing person and that person will be promoted sooner than better performing person just because the former person was physically more present than the other person. I have been told by some people that their Japanese supervisors were complaining because those people did not want to do non necessary overtime although they were more productive than the guys who would stay 3-4h more doing basically nothing.