Samsung releases 120GB 850 SSD.

Coaxialgamer
6 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Samsung is banking heavily on 3D nand, with layer count increasing drastically. This stuff features 64 layers, while the OG 850 series used 32 layers. Effectively were getting 2x the storage per dollar. This will keep going. Industry is also looking toward QLC nand, which would allow them 4 bits per cell vs 3 in the TLC used here. 

At what point will we sacrifice durability for price so heavily that max TBW numbers actually matter? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I have 256GB 850 Pro and it's great, was thinking to get 960 Pro eventually though there's no such capacity. I'm looking forward what they will reveal next soon though. I'm in no rush. :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Samsung making a budget SSD seems like an odd move.  The 850 and other lines from them are very popular for a variety of reasons but price has never been one of them.  Even the mainstream 850 EVOs tend to be significantly more than other perfectly acceptable options, so it will be interesting to see if they can actually gain any ground in the budget space.

To me one main selling point apart from the proven and trusted performance (in peak and sustained loads), the 5 year warranty is a big factor for the recommendation. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

850 EVO/Pro product line is actually on the way out for 860 series within the next few months for the rest of us.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:44 AM, Shadestones said:

This would be great for my laptop. (I can't stand 5400 RPM) But it needs to be priced reasonably if they even want to release it in the US.

the sandisk and pny 120gb SSDs are fairly priced and perform pretty well. i switched my laptop to one from a 5400 rpm hard drive a little while ago and the difference was awesome.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-cs1311-120gb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive/4825603.p?skuId=4825603

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-120gb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive-plus-for-laptops/5394600.p?skuId=5394600

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb