ram wont go past 2666

i just built my pc and i am trying to get my ram to run at its advertised speed of 3200 mhz but i cant get it past 2666. i am using the gskill 2x8 ripjaws v 3200 on an asrock ab350 pro 4 with a ryzen 1400. currently it is running at 2666 with 2.55v. i tried going up as high as 2.8v but i can not get it past 2666. any advice? 

12 hours ago, WereCat said:

2.55V? ??????????? RIP

for both not each

my motherboard uses a combined voltage

2.55 is the auto

4 minutes ago, Scooby622 said:

2.55 is the auto

that motherboard does not support RAM speeds over 2667MHz. see the spec page on newegg. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157761

you spent $200 on some nice RAM, but less than $100 on a motherboard. don't cheap out on a good motherboard. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

3 minutes ago, Scooby622 said:

thats interesting because they say on their website that it supports up to 3200 plus oc

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/

so did you try to manually adjust the clock speed in the UEFI? 

it says OC (overclock), so the board will not accept the speed automatically, you need to manually set it. and it's DDR (doubleDataRate) so if you measure it with software tools it might read as 1600MHz instead of 3200MHz

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

13 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

that motherboard does not support RAM speeds over 2667MHz. see the spec page on newegg. 

you spent $200 on some nice RAM, but less than $100 on a motherboard. don't cheap out on a good motherboard. 

i also got the ram on sale. i should have looked more into the motherboard. i was recommended this board

12 hours ago, Scooby622 said:

2.55 is the auto

Say what? I have that same board and I've seen no such thing. Your Dram Voltage should be 1.35v, most likely.

Sounds like you're looking at the incorrect voltage. VPPM != DRAM Voltage. The only thing you should be changing is Dram Voltage. Go no higher than 1.40v. Leave everything else at Auto. Update your bios to version 3.20.

12 hours ago, VioDuskar said:

bah. nonsense. That board is plenty capable of overclocking ram. He may just need to update the bios. I've done 3200 on my 3000 rated Hynix kit.

11 hours ago, Scooby622 said:

i also got the ram on sale. i should have looked more into the motherboard. i was recommended this board

Can you post the actual model number of the kit? Something like F4-3200C..something.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

10 hours ago, johndms said:

Can you post the actual model number of the kit? Something like F4-3200C..something.

bios is up to date. model number f4-3200c16d-16gvkb

10 hours ago, johndms said:

you were right i was looking at something else. changed that back to auto.

1 minute ago, Scooby622 said:

f4-3200c16d-16gvkb

If you search for that model number at this IC Memory Collection Thread. You'll see that kit could contain one of two types of chips. It could be either Dual Rank with Samsung D-Die, or Single Rank with Hynix M-Die. There's two ways to know for sure. Dual Rank has chips on both sides of the DIMM. Single Rank has chips on one side. You can either remove the ram and try to visually peek under the heatsink, maybe you'll be able to see if it has chips on both sides or not. Alternatively, you can install the program Thaiphoon Burner. It has a very simple option to 'Read' the SPD information directly from each DIMM. The readout it provides will show if it's Single or Dual Rank. Hynix or Samsung.

I say all of this because it may matter. I have that identical kit, only 3000c15 instead of 3200c16. My kit contains Hynix M-Die and with a bios update, it worked perfectly with my AB350 Pro4. The Dual Rank D-Die kit, however, may never work beyond 2666. That's one of Ryzen's limitations. It hates Dual Rank memory. But there are things we can try, though. Let me know which you have.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 10:36 AM, johndms said:

If you search for that model number at this IC Memory Collection Thread. You'll see that kit could contain one of two types of chips. It could be either Dual Rank with Samsung D-Die, or Single Rank with Hynix M-Die. There's two ways to know for sure. Dual Rank has chips on both sides of the DIMM. Single Rank has chips on one side. You can either remove the ram and try to visually peek under the heatsink, maybe you'll be able to see if it has chips on both sides or not. Alternatively, you can install the program Thaiphoon Burner. It has a very simple option to 'Read' the SPD information directly from each DIMM. The readout it provides will show if it's Single or Dual Rank. Hynix or Samsung.

I say all of this because it may matter. I have that identical kit, only 3000c15 instead of 3200c16. My kit contains Hynix M-Die and with a bios update, it worked perfectly with my AB350 Pro4. The Dual Rank D-Die kit, however, may never work beyond 2666. That's one of Ryzen's limitations. It hates Dual Rank memory. But there are things we can try, though. Let me know which you have.

it says i have the hynix one dye variant