Looking for a laptop or tablet

Ryou-kun

Hello LTT,

I think it is time for me to upgrade my Surface Pro 3 i3/4GB RAM/128GB SSD for about 2-3 years. I am somewhat feeling the age of the hardware, RAM along with the 128GB SSD and possibly a USB Type-C charging port. I really like the idea of only bringing one wall charger and can charge both my phone and tablet or laptop at a same time without needing to carry two separate chargers. 

I don't really know whether I should get a tablet or laptop. Using laptop will require me to go back to old school with paper and pen or using a tablet with notes on tablet. Nothing wrong with either of them because both are pretty good. I did have three options in mind: Huawei MateBook HZ-W19, Microsoft Surface Book (1st Gen) and lastly, Xiaomi Air Laptop 13.3. 

I saw Huawei MateBook for $399.99 with an Intel Core m5 (1.1 GHz), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and charges by USB Type-C. It does uses a Pen and folio keyboard case but will cost separately.

Then there is a Microsoft Surface Book (1st Gen) with i5-6300U (2.5 GHz), 8GB RAM but 128GB SSD and cost $599.99 for pre-owned but uses Surface Connect. 

Lastly, Xiaomi Air Laptop 13" which is i5-6200 (2.3 GHz), 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD plus a GT 940MX or MX 150 ($70 dollar more), but it does get charged by USB Type-C. It cost either $719.99 (GT 940MX) or $789.99 (MX 150). 

My budget is definitely under $800 dollar but more cheaper is better. 

I don't mind pre-owned or refurbished as long it has somewhat a warranty to cover it. 

My tasks: School, light gaming use and programming. 

Any opinions/thoughts or recommendations if my three options doesn't work. 

Thank you very much, 

DON'T but laptop with outdated 2c4t ULV CPU and 940MX GPU, get something with KB-R CPU (8250U and 8550U) and MX150

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128