[Review] Seagate Momentus XT 500GB

Wiz Khalifa

So the other day, my WD Caviar Blue drive died for my laptop. I decided to go over to NCIX and got the XT 500GB for a great price (Thanks again NCIX :D) I took it home and placed it in my system, installed Windows 8 and got everything started. I installed GTA IV and decided I should play it so I put on some music and began. When the game began rendering, I noticed that there were cracks in the sound and the game really began to lag. All this was fixed when updating the firmware. Overall, I saw great performance increases in the drive from my old one and it is performing very well to this date. (I seem to be having issues with Dual booting mountain lion with windows but thats OK)

Pros:

• Game performance increased (a bit)
  • Really fast Windows boot times (I had Windows 8 on my Caviar Blue as well)

Cons:

• Stuttering sound before updating Firmware
  • Firmware not updated before shipping

I rate this drive an 8/10 because the cons are small issues and can be fixed very easily.

Khalifa Komputer

Intel Core i5 2500K, Gigabyte P67a-UD4-B3, Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Generic DVD Writer, Seagate Barracuda 360GB + 1TB, MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Frozr III 1GB @ 6970,Corsair TX650M PSU, Bitfenix Shinobi Window

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

Thanks. I've been thinking about getting one. I have a 128GB Vertex 4 in my laptop but it pretty much stays full. It seems alot of people are enjoying the XT's

AMD Phenom II 955BE 4GHz@1.4v

Corsair H100 w/ Silverstone AP122

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 NB@2600MHz

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

Just make sure you get the firmware if you are thinking of getting one. Recently, I have been seeing that the prices have been dropping on these drives. Maybe they are making a new pair of Hybrid Drives. I would just wait for a bit if I were you. ;)

Khalifa Komputer

Intel Core i5 2500K, Gigabyte P67a-UD4-B3, Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Generic DVD Writer, Seagate Barracuda 360GB + 1TB, MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Frozr III 1GB @ 6970,Corsair TX650M PSU, Bitfenix Shinobi Window

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

Very helpful review! I've seen these listed on sites before and I've considered getting one, mainly because my laptop HDD is currently in a clicking mood, when its read it tends to click, which I know is bad, just I'm putting it off as I kinda want a new laptop! :)

Having faster storage in my laptop is a very important thing to me, as I usually do store everything, everywhere. So for a fast way to store your stuff, this would be a excellent choice. Great reveiew :)

MEH

while it speeds up the booting, day to day use are pretty much on par with other hdd with same rpm.

i got mine from amazon uk and it come with the latest firmware at the time (2 years ago). it has since stayed in a modbook and dual booting osx lion and win 7 ult.

however, at current pricing, it makes much more sense to get a 256gb+ ssd with way better overall performance.

Sounds like the Momentus drives are pretty decent. Im struggling to find 2.5" Barracudas now but lots of Momentus and Constellation drives are available.

Thanks for the quick review.

No problem, I am glad you liked it. :)

Khalifa Komputer

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-