New headset / Headphones

Merp83

I am looking into buying some new headphones /headset for my pc and sometimes phone. I currently have a siberia v2 which has been physically worn after many years. I want them for gaming (10 - 15 hours max a week) and to listen to music and content (20hours a week app*). I want something that has good bass and sound quality and if possible surround sound. No more than £160 also do you recommend me spending like 110 on the headphones and 50 on the mic (e.g. a blue snowball).

I'd love to have your opinions. Thanks

MerP 

subscribe to pewdiepie

10 minutes ago, Merp83 said:

I am looking into buying some new headphones /headset for my pc and sometimes phone. I currently have a siberia v2 which has been physically worn after many years. I want them for gaming (10 - 15 hours max a week) and to listen to music and content (20hours a week app*). I want something that has good bass and sound quality and if possible surround sound. No more than £160 also do you recommend me spending like 110 on the headphones and 50 on the mic (e.g. a blue snowball).

I'd love to have your opinions. Thanks

MerP 

i have Razer Kraken Pro, it has surround and its less than 160$. Microphone is great and i recommend it.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

I'm using a set of beyerdynamic dt770 pros with a modmic 4 which probably totalled about £155 and will blow any gaming headset out the water

5 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

i have Razer Kraken Pro, it has surround and its less than 160$. Microphone is great and i recommend it.

Not so convinced about razer's sound quality - I'll have a think.

3 minutes ago, ashzx said:

I'm using a set of beyerdynamic dt770 pros with a modmic 4 which probably totalled about £155 and will blow any gaming headset out the water

Seems intriguing - does it have surround sound by any chance - I sometimes watch these clips which satisfy me with an amazing surround sound - which is very pleasant and for gaming I guess. And I think I would rather just buy a desk mic than that one. But seems interesting!!

subscribe to pewdiepie

Just now, Merp83 said:

Seems intriguing - does it have surround sound by any chance - I sometimes watch these clips which satisfy me with an amazing surround sound - which is very pleasant and for gaming I guess. And I think I would rather just buy a desk mic than that one. But seems interesting!!

dunno if you are playing cs go, but if you are and also using surround, u can hear everything from every corner

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Gpuprodamnn said:

dunno if you are playing cs go, but if you are and also using surround, u can hear everything from every corner

I do - I am supreme and have played for many years - My current headset supports 7.1 thats why I am interested. However, I only invest 1-2 hours into the game every week. So its not a core purpose anymore. I can however, really tell a difference from sound quality in my music - I have heard sennheiser and some other company which has flew out of my brain are great for gaming/music hybrid headphones! Anyway thanks for your help :)

subscribe to pewdiepie

4 minutes ago, Merp83 said:

There's not multiple speakers per ear for "proper" surround, the best you'll get with these is the emulated surround sound built into windows or an external soundcard like the sennheiser GSX 1000 which is obviously unreasonable for your budget. There's something like the sennheiser gsp 350 but I can't vouch for its sound quality (I've owned sennheiser gaming headsets in the past and they were quite lackluster imo).

A pair of M30X's and a mic wouldnt be that bad 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Just now, silentprototipe said:

A pair of M30X's and a mic wouldnt be that bad 

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLURL8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506922039&sr=1-3&keywords=m50x&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=randomfrankp-20&linkId=4122dffa20cf57ea707c9d7a39eae349

Just now, ashzx said:

There's not multiple speakers per ear for "proper" surround, the best you'll get with these is the emulated surround sound built into windows or an external soundcard like the sennheiser GSX 1000 which is obviously unreasonable for your budget. There's something like the sennheiser gsp 350 but I can't vouch for its sound quality (I've owned sennheiser gaming headsets in the past and they were quite lackluster imo).

3 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

Are these any good i just found them https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLURL8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506922039&sr=1-3&keywords=m50x&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=randomfrankp-20&linkId=4122dffa20cf57ea707c9d7a39eae349

subscribe to pewdiepie

I wouldn't bother with modmic. Neat idea, too janky in practice with the unmatched extra cable length. Snowball is also top heavy and easy to be knocked over.

Blue Snowflake is a nice option and for headphones with removable cables, Vmoda boom pro mic is a much more elegant solution over a modmic setup.

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Vmoda boom pro mic is a much more elegant solution over a modmic setup.

Definitely a better solution for headphones with a removable cable - my only gripe with the beyerdynamic DTxxx series is the non removable cable

1 minute ago, ashzx said:

Definitely a better solution for headphones with a removable cable - my only gripe with the beyerdynamic DTxxx series is the non removable cable

Yeah, it's situational. Modmic absolutely is a great idea, it's the extra cable that can be a make or break solution. Maybe a wireless solution from them in the future may resolve.

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic COP+ cans and use the Vmoda mic for a quick headset solution.

Just now, Mooshi said:

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic COP+ cans and use the Vmoda mic for a quick headset solution.

I was going for this setup but I wasn't too pleased with the COP sound vs the DT770 :(

2 minutes ago, ashzx said:

I was going for this setup but I wasn't too pleased with the COP sound vs the DT770 :(

I wanted the DT770 at one point as well actually. Might get Vmoda cans and see how those go..I did get the plush earpads from the DT770 though, super comfy!