HyperX Gaming glasses; a scam or actually worth $100 (USD) dollars

General Winter

i don;t know too much about glasses personally, but i have noticed my prolonged use of using my computer for both work and play have strained my eyes extensively, so i was wondering if these (or any of the less expensive alternatives would help me with this issue

These are the glasses btw, https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-4331052245-Gaming-Eyewear/dp/B071FMZTBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508424040&sr=8-1&keywords=hyper+x+glasses

now i know these aren't prescription glasses by any means, but i already got some since i grew more near sighted and less far sighted (really i use them exclusively for driving since almost everything else i do is upfront anyhow)

are these worth their price tag or should i get an equally effective set of glasses for less?

Those...seem kind of lame, sorry. I wear glasses and with my insurance, I can get a proper set with protective coating for around that price point.

In fact, mine cost around 120ish out of pocket or 300 without insurance. Since my day job is in front of a computer screen all day, best to get the real deal over some gamer branded hipster glasses.

This is a new level of "sealing your virginity for life."

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, Mooshi said:

Those...seem kind of lame, sorry. I wear glasses and with my insurance, I can get a proper set with protective coating for around that price point.

i can see fine close sighted, so i don't have or need these kinds of glasses

however the strain is still noticeable having more and more of my time between work and play on a monitor

1 minute ago, General Winter said:

i can see fine close sighted, so i don't have or need these kinds of glasses

however the strain is still noticeable having more and more of my time between work and play on a monitor

The point wasn't how well you see up close, it was more you can get actual glasses for around the same price as those. Maybe if they we're 40 bucks it'd be more justified.

Just now, Abyssal Radon said:

They look like a cash grab, that is aimed for little kiddies. I would try and find a pair that isn't by a gaming company, go with one that's a off brand and doesn't look as stupid as those glasses. 

:( why does everyone hate black and red

i think they look nice, but not with such an asking price

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

The point wasn't how well you see up close, it was more you can get actual glasses for around the same price as those. Maybe if they we're 40 bucks it'd be more justified.

yeah, i lot of the alternatives, are easily around $20 and $40 being the most expensive and less than $10 being the lowest, though i can't tell the difference between the lot (which is why im asking)  when they all say they have the same stuff more or less

samples:

https://www.amazon.com/PROSPEK-Premium-Computer-Professional-Blocking/dp/B00RJ3OYWG/ref=pd_cp_23_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00RJ3OYWG&pd_rd_r=8T0D9JSJVVA19BQH2YNX&pd_rd_w=87K49&pd_rd_wg=g9TYD&refRID=8T0D9JSJVVA19BQH2YNX&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Cyxus-Blocking-Computer-Glasses-Transparent/dp/B01GJKJU5U/ref=pd_cp_23_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01GJKJU5U&pd_rd_r=APW74A77XY67R5JYET3G&pd_rd_w=PBWQL&pd_rd_wg=5sJIY&psc=1&refRID=APW74A77XY67R5JYET3G

12 minutes ago, General Winter said:

~snip~

They aren't snake oil or anything. They do help. They're like a cheaper knock off version of Gunnar glasses. They're not going to make you a better gamer or anything, but if you do get migraines from sitting in front of your computer too much, they can help.

I have a pair of prescription Gunnars that I wear at work and they help a lot. But they're also considerably more expensive than these HyperX ones. Normal non-perscription non-gamer Gunnars are only about $80 though so you might want to consider those instead.

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I think you're missing the point of these... Getting normal prescription glasses UV and Anti-Blue coated costs substantially more than $100 and leaves you with a permanent and constant yellow tinge. The benefit to computer glasses is you can wear them alongside your normal glasses, or even if you don't wear glasses, specifically for bluelight and UV reduction.

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

They aren't snake oil or anything. They do help. They're like a cheaper knock off version of Gunnar glasses. They're not going to make you a better gamer or anything, but if you do get migraines from sitting in front of your computer too much, they can help.

I have a pair of prescription Gunnars that I wear at work and they help a lot. But they're also considerably more expensive than these HyperX ones. Normal non-perscription non-gamer Gunnars are only about $80 though so you might want to consider those instead.

I think you're missing the point of these... Getting normal prescription glasses UV and Anti-Blue coated costs substantially more than $100 and leaves you with a permanent and constant yellow tinge. The benefit to computer glasses is you can wear them alongside your normal glasses, or even if you don't wear glasses, specifically for bluelight and UV reduction.

thanks, i am aware of their benefits, but if you look above your post, i explained i can't tell the difference between these and the ones that more or less claim the same stuff for a fraction of the price

if you could break down the difference between the samples and any ones you recommend, i'd appreciate it

also this looks nice based on your gunnar recommendations https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Computer-gaming-glasses-Electronic-Games/dp/B007ZW4X1I/ref=sr_1_3_cpbg?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508425755&sr=1-3&keywords=Gunnars

14 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Snip

Nah. No yellow ting here and mine weren't ridiculously expensive. Granted, I do have insurance. Regardless, these Hyper X do feel pretty scammy for charging 100 dollars for what are essentially basic lenses with a film. 

We have glasses tech that helps color blind people see color. Nothing special about the Hyper X to justify that price.

3 minutes ago, General Winter said:

if you could break down the difference between the samples and any ones you recommend, i'd appreciate it

I'm not too sure how much of a difference there is. I recommended Gunnar because I've used them and can attest to their quality, but I only have Gunnar glasses because that's what my optometrist recommended and what my insurance would cover.

I can provide an educated guess as to what the differences are, but want to make it clear I've never used any of these other options and can't speak to the accuracy of my guesses.

Optical material:

In the case of Gunnar, at least with their prescription lenses, they're made out of the same optical plastics that normal glasses are made out of, just pretreated to make them blue light and UV resistant. This is cheaper than coating them afterwards, and more resistant to damage and cleaning chemicals.

With the other ones they may cheap out on plastic quality and may have distortion due to the optical qualities of the plastic they use.

Manufacturing tolerances: if they have looser tolerances than higher end brands it helps them shave manufacturing costs, but can also lead to subtle artifacts, coloirong and distortion when looking through the lens.

Build quality: pretty self explanatory. If they build it out of cheaper, less durable materials it helps shave cost.

Again, just to be clear, I have not used any of those other options you mentioned and cannot say that they're actually inferior to Gunnar glasses in any way. They could be worse or may be just as good or even better.

10 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Nah. No yellow ting here and mine weren't ridiculously expensive. Granted, I do have insurance. Regardless, these Hyper X do feel pretty scammy for charging 100 dollars for what are essentially basic lenses with a film. 

We have glasses tech that helps color blind people see color. Nothing special about the Hyper X to justify that price.

Computer glasses are usually made out of pretreated optical plastics, not a film or coating like traditional prescriptions. Which means you don't have to be as worried about damaging them with different cleaners.

And it could also be where you live and your prescription. My glasses were going to be $100  CAD for the lenses alone, and then another $150 CAD and a 3 week wait to get them coated (before insurance). For that price I just got my pair of Gunnars and don't have to worry about the coating wearing off, since I'm not super gentle on glasses and tend to wear the same pair for many many years.

And as for yellow tinge, it depends how much blue light they block. If you need a pair with 100% omission, they'll be pretty damn yellow xD for the more typical amounts like 10% or even 25% it's not so bad.

I think regardless of opinions, end goal should be to protect the eyes lol

Here's mine, checked out Gunners and I think those yellow lenses would not look good on me haha

1019171023a.jpg