Mirrorless and DSLRs and Webcams

So I'm researching some cameras and I've come across a few that could work for my needs without being too expensive but I think i need more help here. I'm really looking for a camera that will record long sessions without a problem and also be used as a Webcam. I know there are a lot of Canon and nikon DSLRs that will work with programs like digicam. But I also found a nex-7 which isn't listed. However, the nex-6 is. Has anyone gotten the 7 to work with it? Also any other recommendations for something around $300? Keep in mind I also have hdmi capture for my computer. 

My first DSLR is a Nikon D5100. It’s not the best out there but it worked well for my needs. At the moment it’s less than $300 on Amazon. Although video recording is maxed out at 20 minutes at 1080p 30 fps. I think you’re better off with mirrorless cameras. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

there is a d3400 going on sale soon at the store that i work at which sounds pretty good and and solid choice but of course im also concerned about thermals. i know the mirror-less cameras can run cooler but im just so unsure! lol

thanks for the help. i'll keep an eye out.

7 hours ago, Mythical Knights said:

i know the mirror-less cameras can run cooler but im just so unsure! lol

and you know so little

Most DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras have a internal recording limit of maximum 30 minutes, due to EU tax laws.  So if you want to use them to record long videos continuously you either use an external recorder or start the recording again every ~30 minutes or see if there is a third party firmware hack for the camera (usually available for Canon cameras).

As for using them as a webcam, perhaps a capture card to get the video from the camera to the computer...

As for overheating, mirrorless cameras can overheat faster than DSLRs due to their compact size.  But all of these camera sensors will overheat if you use them to record video for hours without end.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

The gear does not matter nearly as much as your skill. Get the camera that fits you the best, try them in a camera store for example. Upgrade later when you feel you actually need something that your equipment cannot provide. 

With that being said here is an insight of the current offerings from different brands. All their modern models offer decent video capabilities some even shoot 4K.

Entry level Canon/Nikon DSLRs are pretty beginner friendly either will serve you well and both of them have a complete ecosystem. You are unlikely to find yourself looking for something that doesn't exist for the camera. 

Fujifilm makes some of the best mirrorless camera imo. They have a complete range of lenses as well and works extremely well. Many Canon/Nikon users are switching to Fuji without any regrets but might be a bit limited when it comes to video especially compared to Sony. 

Sony cameras are feature packed for sure but I am not satisfied with their lenses and accessories. They aren't many and most of them are expensive. They do offer great videos capabilities however but I have heard of overheating issues during long recording sessions. 

I am not familiar with Panasonic and Olympus cameras but they use the smaller micro 4/3 sensors and have quite a wide selection of lenses and most of them are extremely compact and quite affordable overall. The Panasonic GH5 is also one of the best video camera out there with the cheaper G7 being pretty close.